Something special you're trying to block?

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Something special you're trying to block?

Post by rick752 »

If you are trying to block something from a certain site, ask it here and I (or someone) will try to figure it out for you. Go ahead, it might be something I'll use in the EasyList.

Copy the address of the offending page from your address bar and paste it in your request.

ps: *GUEST POSTING IS ALLOWED HERE IN THE ADBLOCK FORUM*
Last edited by rick752 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saya

Post by Saya »

Hi,

I have problem with pop up window from passion.com which keeps appearing each time I click the link to download something from megaupload.com

I have tried to put passion.com in the Adblock filter list, but it's not working, the pop up window still appear. So, could you please help me bloking the pop up. Thanks!

By the way, you did a great job with the EasyListFilter!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I would like to help, but megaupload is a membership site of which I am not a member ... so I can't get to your problem page. I also cannot see a source code for it.

This is definitely a SCRIPT initiation, so if you look at the SCRIPTS in your blockable list, you will probably find a SCRIPT that calls for an outside ad which may OR may not be coming from passion.com itself ... it could be a 3rd party feed. The popup itself could also actually come from megaupload itself ... they could be partners.

You could send me an adblock "blockable items" screenshot or a list of blockable SCRIPTS from the initiation page.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
nolookingca

Post by nolookingca »

Well, I'm trying to unblock something. On CTV.ca, there are only two ads that I'm aware of, a banner at the top and a samsung ad to the right. The problem here is that CTV routes their contests through a doubleclick link.
I'm currently using @@.doubleclick.*ctv.ca/* (so far, the ads don't go through/use doubleclick), but I was wondering if there is a better way (perhaps @@.doubleclick.*ctv.ca/contests*?).
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

nolookingca wrote:Well, I'm trying to unblock something. On CTV.ca, there are only two ads that I'm aware of, a banner at the top and a samsung ad to the right. The problem here is that CTV routes their contests through a doubleclick link.
I'm currently using @@.doubleclick.*ctv.ca/* (so far, the ads don't go through/use doubleclick), but I was wondering if there is a better way (perhaps @@.doubleclick.*ctv.ca/contests*?).
If I'm reading this correctly, you are trying to un-block doubleclick on ctv.ca to be able to use the contest links?

First, you cannot wildcard a whitelist filter ... you can only allow subdirectory tiers, eg:
@@http://www.ctv.ca/mar/images/promos/

I am not having any problems with the contest links with both of my filters engaged ... I have learned not to block */promos/*, *promo*, or */promo/*
... are you blocking with any of those? If so, remove them ... they cause a lot of false positives.
nolookingca
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by nolookingca »

Yes. */promo/* is in the EasyList. Rick, what's your opinion on this?
And I don't know if it's just beginner's luck, but the wildcard whitelist entries work for me.

EDIT: Just realised that was you. It showed up as guest for some reason.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Oops, my error .... */promo/* IS in the list (that one seems ok) .... */promos/* is not in the list (THAT'S the one that was a problem).

I don't know why you need to whitelist anything there. None of the contest ads are blocked here ... only the top banner and the Samsung ad are blocked (and some hitbox stuff). Seems you are using something that I don't use.

(*/promos/*)?
nolookingca
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by nolookingca »

The filter in effect is */ad.* (from http://ad.doubleclick)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

nolookingca wrote:The filter in effect is */ad.* (from http://ad.doubleclick)
Oh, I guess I misunderstood then. Then you WANT the Samsung ad back (it's the only doubleclick entry on the site). This one:

http://www.ctv.ca/mar/images/promos/z5_ ... _10k_3.swf?
clickTag=http://ad.doubleclick.net/... (etc)

This whitelist would be proper and should be ok:
@@http://www.ctv.ca/mar/images/promos/

ps: I guess I'll have to figure out why your whitelist worked. I thought that Wladimir said it couldn't work like that .... hmmmm.
nolookingca
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by nolookingca »

You've misunderstood. I don't want the samsung ad. I want the contest urls, 4 in total. 1 of which shows no matter what, and 3 (the three that we're discussing here) are also served by doubleclick. Anyways, (for now at least) I'm sticking with my original @@.doubleclick.*ctv.ca/contests*, which doesn't let the samsung one through.
Thanks for your help.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

:idea:
WAIT ... NOW I know what it is.

Remove your whitelist and open OPTIONS:

Turn OFF "Check banner links" :D

EDIT: That setting has its problems ... shouldn't use it.
nolookingca
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by nolookingca »

Thanks. :D That setting is new in ABP7, I presume?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

nolookingca wrote:Thanks. :D That setting is new in ABP7, I presume?
I think its been there since 0.6.1 (not sure). Wladimir would have caught your problem immediately ... it just hit me after your last post. I can't remember if that is checked by a default install or not. I couldn't figure out why I was not having the same problems as you, using the same filters ... hence all my confusing posts. I think you were as confused as myself :?

OK, GREAT! Glad that's fixed ... whew!