sythe.org

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
Sythe

sythe.org

Post by Sythe »

Sythe.org has exactly 4 unintrusive ads: 2 banners at the top and 2 banners at the bottom. All other advertising on the site is by users for users in their threads and signatures.

For whatever reason someone here has decided to block about 90% of the image content on sythe.org with the following regular expression in easylist:

Code: Select all

! sythe.org
/^https:\/\/([a-z]+\.)?sythe\.org\/[0-9a-zA-Z\/+=_]{36,}/$image
As a result we've had no choice but to block ad-block users. The site is now unusable when they have adblock enabled.

Can someone please explain to me the rationale behind this adblock entry?
intense Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense Verified »

Maybe you've fighted back .. to display your banners even if were blocked initially by easylist, so they added the regex.

If you want to fix the issue you should put together all your banners in a specific folder (/img/banner for example)

or accept a new regex fixing the issue without fighting back ..

for example replacing the regex:

/^https:\/\/([a-z]+\.)?sythe\.org\/[0-9a-zA-Z\/+=_]{36,}/$image
with

/^https:\/\/([a-z]+\.)?sythe\.org\/[0-9a-zA-Z\/+=_$]{60,}/$image
@fanboy
Sythe

Post by Sythe »

Just remove the entries altogether? There's nothing that adblock should be blocking on the site. All our ads are acceptable ads.
intense Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense Verified »

"acceptable ads" are only related to ABP / AB, not to all adblockers and has nothing to do with easylist. You should apply to be part of their (ABP) list.
https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads
fanboy Verified
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy Verified »

I'm not seeing your site in Acceptable ads. and Easylist is separate from Acceptable ads.

I have removed the filter.
Sythe

Post by Sythe »

fanboy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:02 am I'm not seeing your site in Acceptable ads. and Easylist is separate from Acceptable ads.

I have removed the filter.
Why should we have to pay money to sign up for Acceptable Ads? We already have unobtrusive ads. Stop promoting a probably illegal racket.

There remain 4 entries in easylist for sythe.org, none of these are justified. Please remove them.
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ Verified »

Sythe wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm Why should we have to pay money to sign up for Acceptable Ads?
Who said anything about money? What you define as "acceptable ads" and reality aren't the same.
Sythe wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm We already have unobtrusive ads. Stop promoting a probably illegal racket.
Easy on the hyperbole. :roll:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Sythe

Post by Sythe »

LanikSJ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:29 pm
Sythe wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm Why should we have to pay money to sign up for Acceptable Ads?
Who said anything about money? What you define as "acceptable ads" and reality aren't the same.
Sythe wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm We already have unobtrusive ads. Stop promoting a probably illegal racket.
Easy on the hyperbole. :roll:
It's tortious interference with a view to making a profit off of that interference. Essentially racketeering and probably illegal in most jurisdictions.

Anyway what do we have to do to get the remaining 4 entries removed from easylist?
fanboy Verified
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

This is an an adblock forum, what are you complaining about? Are you surprised your ads have been targeted? I'm not.
Sythe

Post by Sythe »

fanboy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:01 am This is an an adblock forum, what are you complaining about? Are you surprised your ads have been targeted? I'm not.
You're aware New Zealand courts recognise tortious interference right? Send your solicitor an email and ask them if what you're doing is tortious interference. When he/she tells you it is remove the entries.

You are hereby trespassed from sythe.org, as is everyone involved in easylist. You are not to access the website, doing so would be unlawful.
Last edited by Sythe on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
fanboy Verified
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

People are free to use what ever they want on their computers and web browsers.

I think this is enough regarding this topic, if you don't like Easylist or Adblock software. Uninstall it.

And if you wish to threaten anyone, you'll be banned from this forum.
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ Verified »

Sythe wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:58 am It's tortious interference with a view to making a profit off of that interference. Essentially racketeering and probably illegal in most jurisdictions.
For the second time nobody here makes a profit as Acceptable Ads are run by Eyeo and NOT EasyList Staff rules#about
Sythe wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am You are hereby trespassed from sythe.org, as is everyone involved in easylist. You are not to access the website, doing so would be unlawful.
Wonderful. :mrgreen:
fanboy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:15 pm And if you wish to threaten anyone, you'll be banned from this forum.
What @fanboy said. If you're looking to get banned you're doing a bang up job.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."