ABP Tracking Filter

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Gordon

ABP Tracking Filter

Post by Gordon »

I am interested in the ABP Tracking Filter more than either the basic EasyList or EasyElement, so that leads me to a few questions.

My biggest question is why the link to the TrackingFilter is identical to the link to EasyElement. I didn't realize this until I looked at my Preferences in ABP and it looked like I had loaded EasyElement instead of TrackingFilter. So I went back and looked at easylist.adblockplus.org/easylist-modified.htm and easylist.adblockplus.org/adblock_plus.htm where I found that the links were identical when I expected them to be distinct.

Have the two products been rolled into one? Then how can the update times be different on the Last Modified page?

My next big question is if/why the TrackingFilter must be used only as a supplement to EasyList? Will it work without EasyList installed? If I disable chunks (large or small) of EasyList will this compromise corresponding chunks of TrackingFilter? I have currently loaded EasyList but disabled the entire thing. Does that mean that the TrackingFilter will not work properly? What difference could there be between loading something and disabling it, on the one hand, and not even loading it, on the other hand?

Finally a fundamental question that probably should have come first: Am I correct to understand that the function of TrackingFilter is to stop cookies or other tools that are used to observe where I go and how frequently I go there? (Tracking statistics for advertising companies to sell to advertisers - or whoever else wants to snoop on me.)

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand your tools.

- Gordon
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

Gordon wrote:My biggest question is why the link to the TrackingFilter is identical to the link to EasyElement. I didn't realize this until I looked at my Preferences in ABP and it looked like I had loaded EasyElement instead of TrackingFilter. So I went back and looked at easylist.adblockplus.org/easylist-modified.htm and easylist.adblockplus.org/adblock_plus.htm where I found that the links were identical when I expected them to be distinct.
That's an oversight by rick, I suppose this is due to a copy&paste mishap.
rick, fix it! :wink:
You can go to http://easylist.adblockplus.org/ for a correctly working link.
Have the two products been rolled into one?
No.
My next big question is if/why the TrackingFilter must be used only as a supplement to EasyList?
Where do you read that? This remark is only valid for the element hiding subscription, and in fact is only given there.
Will it work without EasyList installed?
Absolutely. Subscriptions in ABP are completely independent from one another.
If I disable chunks (large or small) of EasyList will this compromise corresponding chunks of TrackingFilter?
No.
I have currently loaded EasyList but disabled the entire thing. Does that mean that the TrackingFilter will not work properly?
No.
Finally a fundamental question that probably should have come first: Am I correct to understand that the function of TrackingFilter is to stop cookies or other tools that are used to observe where I go and how frequently I go there? (Tracking statistics for advertising companies to sell to advertisers - or whoever else wants to snoop on me.)
Ummm... yes and no. The tracking filter only has a secondary (but quite desirable) effect on cookies. Its main purpose is to prevent webbugs (i.e. tiny, often 1x1 pixel sized, transparent images) or tracking scripts from being used in webpages. Of course, this also prevents the servers serving those things from setting a cookie: Your browser never even talks to them.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I fixed it .... I wonder how long it's been like that? I did modify the links a couple of weeks ago, so it may have been a copy & paste oversight.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Thank you for the details, Chewey !
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Rick -
It looks like there is still a wrong link for ABP Tracking on this page:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org/easylist-modified.htm
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Gordon wrote:Rick -
It looks like there is still a wrong link for ABP Tracking on this page:
http://easylist.adblockplus.org/easylist-modified.htm
Oh wow! I forget about that page every now and then (I already know when I last updated those :) )

I don't even know why I have those words linked to anything ... it is all on the main page. Fixed now.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
TonyKlein

Post by TonyKlein »

Small question: I presently have only EasyList + EasyElement subscriptions, as blocking ads/banners is what I'm predominantly interested in.

However, I certainly am interested in adding the Tracking Filter as well, but only provided it doesn't noticeably impair performance in any way.

Any opinions?

Thanks! :)
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

TonyKlein wrote:However, I certainly am interested in adding the Tracking Filter as well, but only provided it doesn't noticeably impair performance in any way.
It doesn't, go ahead. :)
TonyKlein

Post by TonyKlein »

That's the answer I was hoping for; thanks, off to install it ;)