next.leadconduit.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
kellym

next.leadconduit.com

Post by kellym »

The recently added filter of

Code: Select all

/events/analytics/*
for chase.com is too aggressive.

Our website (next.leadconduit.com) has an API endpoint at

/events/analytics
that returns data about events that have happened in our system. These events have nothing to do with privacy -- they're statuses of success/failure on sending data to certain other API endpoints.

I can't provide sample links since it's behind authentication, but I can provide screenshots:

I'm happy to help resolve this issue. Is there anything I can do?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

The easiest thing you can do is change the API endpoint name to anything other then

/events/analytics
If that's not possible you'll need one of the EasyList authors to take a look. Without having a page to test that's going to be very difficult to diagnose.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

For the end user @kellym what is the problem? (event monitoring is still considered tracking btw)
kellym

Post by kellym »

I see, sorry. I thought this forum was the proper way to unblock bad regex filters. I think assuming all websites that use an API endpoint "/events/analytics" is an overly aggressive matcher. Analytics of events don't necessarily mean invasion of privacy. This isn't user event tracking. This is literally tracking events that our system generates. We call things in our system "events", and thus anything other than "events/analytics" doesn't make sense.

Changing our API endpoint is an illogical solution. This would be a breaking change for our users. Also, what happens if someone decides that using the word "analytics" is now deemed a privacy concern? These filters can't be so specific unless they're also tied to specific domains.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

well, in Easyprivacy we're blocking a lot of "analytics", 1204 filters

fanboy@Ubuntu:~/git/easylist/easyprivacy$ grep -r analytic * | wc -l