KingstonCreative.net

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Bad Brad

KingstonCreative.net

Post by Bad Brad »

Hi Rick!

Why does KingstonCreative.net want to install 3 scripts and 2 "Java, Flash, or Plugin" on the Easy forum's Home Portal?

At least for now, I have set NoScript 1.1.4.8.070523 to "Mark kingstoncreative.net as Untrusted".

I gather from having visited their site that they are hosting your forums. And it looks like a mighty good deal at that!

If they are trying to install tracking scripts, then you really should add them to your ABP Tracking Filter.

When I temporarily allow KingstonCreative.net to do what it wants, the only difference I see is the "Current NYS Surplus Property available on eBay" box becomes populated with text advertisements. Why aren't these blocked by Easy List and the screen space released by Easy Element? If you are their paying customer, no way should they be asking you to relay third party advertizements! I suspect I am asking potentially embarrassing questions here...

Since the text ads don't account for all the crap they wanted to load, to me that is the very definition of untrustworthy.

Just out of curiosity: What percentage of subscribers to Easy List and Easy Element, who have enabled automatic updates, also subscribe to the tracking filter with automatic updates enabled?

Your Prompt Attention Is Sincerely Appreciated,

Brad
Hint: I do not *routinely* check the mail box of this disposable address!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Kingston Creative is ONLY the service that we use for displaying some of the news feeds (I use them on my own personal site too). As far as I know, it only runs a script for displaying the feeds and NOT for tracking of any kind.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Hi Rick,

OK.

I hope you'll understand why I'm going to leasve NoScript set to block it. (I never paid any attention to news feeds anyway, and it reduces the load on my ancient CPU.)

Brad
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

BTW, What about:
Just out of curiosity: What percentage of subscribers to Easy List and Easy Element, who have enabled automatic updates, also subscribe to the tracking filter with automatic updates enabled?
Brad[/quote]
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Bad Brad wrote:Just out of curiosity: What percentage of subscribers to Easy List and Easy Element, who have enabled automatic updates, also subscribe to the tracking filter with automatic updates enabled?
Here are last months total file downloads numbers". The EasyElement and the Tracking Filter really don't get enough actual publicity anywhere to come anywhere near the EasyList numbers ... but all stay steady but keep increasing at a rate of 10-20% EVERY MONTH. Most of these ARE subscriptions.

These are May's total file download numbers downloads of each.

EasyList: 6,986,808
EasyElement: 364,311
EasyList + EasyElement combo subscription: 75,465
Liste Fr + EasyList combo subscription: 166,446
Corset + Easylist combo subscription: 72,786
RO List + Easylist combo subscription: 13,361
ABP Tracking Filter: 93,267

These filters are based on my guess that new update is sent to the average user every 5.7 days (I feel it is very underestimated). This makes the 'divisional' factor for the month of May (to calculate the number of subscribers) to be around 5.2 updates per month.

93,267 divided by 5.2 equals around 18,000 subscribers.
Last edited by rick752 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

rick752 wrote:93,267 divided by 5.2 equals around 18,000 subscribers.
Does it increase faster since it is listed with the other subscriptions on ABP.org?

With such a huge difference, I feel I'm withholding a pretty useful thing from most
of my subscribers to please the minority not wanting to block trackers.

We need more advertising... :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

It seems to be gaining momentum much more quickly now.

It went from just 33,000 downloads in April to 93,000 in May since Wladimir put it up on the subscriptions page. :D