seekingalpha.com

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
PC_Load_Letter
Site Member
Site Member

seekingalpha.com

Post by PC_Load_Letter »

Seekingalpha.com are being obnoxious again. There is a rather large ad, trying to get people to subscribe on the homepage:

And since they're generating the page dynamically, the div names keep changing everytime you reload the page which makes cosmetic filters somewhat useless. Or rather, I can't figure out how to block the ad. Maybe someone who is smarter than me knows how.

PC_Load_Letter
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PC_Load_Letter »

Not sure if anyone cares but this kept annoying me since it takes up almost half the page so, after scrolling past it a few hundred times, I eventually decided to do something about it. This may be sort of hacky but I figured I'd share in case anybody else was annoyed by this:

Code: Select all

seekingalpha.com##:xpath(//div[contains(text(), 'Finding top stocks to buy')]/ancestor::div[3])
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I see another div that doesn't get blocked.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
PC_Load_Letter
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PC_Load_Letter »

Thanks for letting me know.

This should take care of it for now:

seekingalpha.com##:xpath(//*[text()[contains(.,'Start now with 50% off')]]/ancestor::div[4])

but seeing that SeekingAlpha are moving stuff around on a regular basis, I guess there's really no telling when the next ad will pop up.

BTW, I haven't been able to post on here for a while now due to the (apparently overly agressive) spamhouse blacklist.I don't think a PBL hit (ie. you shouldn't be able to run a mail server from this - residential - IP) means you shouldn't be able to post to the forum. Just my two cents, obviously.

PC_Load_Letter
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PC_Load_Letter »

Another day, another ad. This one just as obnoxious as the last ones.

seekingalpha.com##:xpath(//*[text()[contains(.,'get 7 days for FREE')]]/ancestor::div[3])
PC_Load_Letter
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PC_Load_Letter »

Playin' whack-a-mole...

seekingalpha.com##:xpath(//*[text()[contains(.,'Black Friday Deal Now!')]]/ancestor::div[3])

Unfortunately, I can't really think of a better way to block this stuff.

PC_Load_Letter
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PC_Load_Letter »

It appears this change to uBO breaks some XPATH cosmetic rules which worked fine previously when the browser DOM was used to validate them. Escaping them fixes this.

This should take care of all the ads that are currently in rotation on SA:

seekingalpha.com##:xpath('//div[contains(text(), 'Finding top stocks to buy')]/ancestor::div[3]')
seekingalpha.com##:xpath('//*[text()[contains(.,'Start now with 50% off')]]/ancestor::div[4]')
seekingalpha.com##:xpath('//*[text()[contains(.,'get 7 days for FREE')]]/ancestor::div[3]')
seekingalpha.com##:xpath('//*[text()[contains(.,'Black Friday Deal Now!')]]/ancestor::div[3]')
seekingalpha.com##:xpath('//*[text()[contains(.,'Picks for just')]]/ancestor::div[3]')
PC_Load_Letter
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PC_Load_Letter »

This will get rid of the new cookie notice:

seekingalpha.com###onetrust-consent-sdk