High CPU usage from one EasyPrivacy rule

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
dreamlayers

High CPU usage from one EasyPrivacy rule

Post by dreamlayers »

I use Vista x86 SP2, Firefox 3.5.2 and AdBlock Plus 1.1.1. At http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html Firefox uses 100% CPU on one core. This is related to the following EasyPrivacy rule: "||clustrmaps.com^$third-party". While the page is being displayed, the number of hits for that rule starts climbing rapidly. For example, in under a minute it can increase by more than 10000. When I disable the rule, the problem goes away.
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

Sounds like poor website design to me.
dreamlayers

Post by dreamlayers »

Hubird wrote:Sounds like poor website design to me.
The web page works fine when that rule is disabled. Yeah, the web page might be poorly designed, but an AdBlock Plus rule shouldn't trigger a problem like that.
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

I took a look at this: If the clustrmaps image doesn't load, their script tries to load an error image - but not only once but until the image is loaded. So if for some reason (let's say the clustrmaps servers go down) the error image can't be loaded too it will produce an endless loop.

Should I really be the one to fix this for a) a webmaster that adds such a code to his site or b) a counter provider that thinks their servers are never going to be down, unreachable etc ?