Videos from cosmos.bcst.yahoo [n/a]

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
LarryD

Videos from cosmos.bcst.yahoo [n/a]

Post by LarryD »

The Yahoo-Today section (scolling 4 part section) serves up news/videos in a new window that is split into 2 sections. On the left is an ad video (i.e. Netflix) that you have to let finish before you get the video you actually want to view. I see that @@cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp_v3/ is in the WhiteList in EasyList.
I have tried blocking the item myself, but then the window opens and hangs up and you can't get the actual newsclip you want to see. Is there a way to get the new window, block the 1st video clip and then only view the actual item requested?
Thank You
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Actually, Larry . They can be blocked usually BUT there are 1 of 3 things that can happen when trying to block an ad preceding a video feed:

1. It works when you block the specific feed for the video ad and the real video plays immediately. The ad and the video would both be separate strings listed under TYPES that are defined as 'OTHER' in the 'blockable items' list in ABP. This solution would be very lucky if blocking the video ad immediately started the video instead ... it's very rare, but it does happen at times.

2. You block the video ad ... but the alloted time for the ad still runs its whole length anyway leaving you with just a blank video screen until all of the ad time is over ... THEN it starts the real video. This is not a good idea because you may think that the video is not working ,PLUS you would still have to wait for all the ad time to run before the real video started.

3. It doesn't work at all AND also blocks the ad AND the real video too because it is part of the same feedroll.

I think this one would fall between 2 and 3. Sorry.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"