Can you use EasyList in Konqueror?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Can you use EasyList in Konqueror?

Post by AmyRose »

Hi, I was just wondering if there's a way to use EasyList in Konqueror with its built-in ad blocker. I know it supports Filterset.G, but Konqueror doesn't support whitelisting yet, so I get many false-positives with it.
Last edited by AmyRose on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've been Microsoft-free since March 28, 2004; OS: Kubuntu Linux 7.04 (Feisty) (KDE pwns GNOME)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Hi AmyRose .... and welcome :)

I didn't even know that someone was trying to use the EasyList in Konqueror. I know there has been some success in getting the EasyList to work in a couple of different adblocking programs besides Adblock Plus.

Unfortunately without the program's ability to read the whitelist strings and the other "special ABP characters" in the list, the EasyList will not work correctly and will give you the false-positives that you are now getting.

The thing is that I make my subscriptions for Adblock Plus and ONLY Adblock Plus. Filterset.G will work because it is designed to work in the original Adblock (Adblock 0.5 cannot process ABP's special characters either). G also has a separate whitelist filter (which is actually necessary with G's filters but which you cannot use either). G also uses many regular expressions which WILL work in Konqueror but are VERY slow in Adblock Plus ... so it is advised not to use those types of filters in ABP. They are probably slow in Konqueror too.

I wish I could tell you something encouraging but I can't. It would be up to Konqueror's adblocking developer to make the EasyList work like others have tried to do. Sorry :(

ps: If Konqueror has a way to turn off individual strings like in ABP, you could try disabling those strings that Konqueror doesn't use correctly.
Last edited by rick752 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Post by AmyRose »

Thanks for your kindness. I know it's unsupported, and I can live with that. :) I decided to ask anyway because of a site that compared your filters with G's and the article said you were very friendly. :)

I found reports of G's filterset working in Konqueror on his forum, and it seems to be popular among Konqueror users, but his filterset is a bit of a hassle to download, and his forum wasn't as friendly. ;)

I do not like Firefox myself, and if I need a gecko-based browser, I use Seamonkey instead, and I'm thankful that ABP works in that.

Thanks anyway. I registered because I'd like to stay anyway, even if I don't like the browser that's promoted here. :D
I've been Microsoft-free since March 28, 2004; OS: Kubuntu Linux 7.04 (Feisty) (KDE pwns GNOME)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

AmyRose wrote:I decided to ask anyway because of a site that compared your filters with G's and the article said you were very friendly. :)
Well ... I like to THINK that I am :lol:
I registered because I'd like to stay anyway, even if I don't like the browser that's promoted here. :D
Of course you may stay. Who can resist that cute lil' avatar? :) ..... even though you ARE a "firefox hater" :?
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Post by AmyRose »

rick752 wrote:
AmyRose wrote:I decided to ask anyway because of a site that compared your filters with G's and the article said you were very friendly. :)
Well ... I like to THINK that I am :lol:
I registered because I'd like to stay anyway, even if I don't like the browser that's promoted here. :D
Of course you may stay. Who can resist that cute lil' avatar? :) ..... even though you ARE a "firefox hater" :?
Hehe, thanks :D
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

rick752 wrote:Of course you may stay. Who can resist that cute lil' avatar? :) ..... even though you ARE a "firefox hater" :?
Ah bah, so am I.
She likes SeaMonkey, that's good enough for me :D
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Post by AmyRose »

chewey wrote:
rick752 wrote:Of course you may stay. Who can resist that cute lil' avatar? :) ..... even though you ARE a "firefox hater" :?
Ah bah, so am I.
She likes SeaMonkey, that's good enough for me :D
Yeah, Seamonkey is much better than Firefox these days, in my opinion. It's actually been faster on my machine (Kubuntu 7.04) than Firefox.

But I still prefer Konqueror because it's super-fast and handles CSS better. :D
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

From personal experience, yes you can (although there's no way to automatically update it, though maybe you could write a script for that). Also I believe konqueror does support whitelisting, if you do @@somesite.com somesite.com will be whitelisted. I haven't used KDE or Konqueror in quite a while though

Also:
rick752 wrote:
Tsk, it's all free software and open standards anyway.
AmyRose
Site Member
Site Member

Post by AmyRose »

VF wrote:From personal experience, yes you can (although there's no way to automatically update it, though maybe you could write a script for that). Also I believe konqueror does support whitelisting, if you do @@somesite.com somesite.com will be whitelisted. I haven't used KDE or Konqueror in quite a while though
According to the people on #kde on Freenode, it does not support whitelisting yet, but they said they were working on it.
VF wrote:
rick752 wrote:
Tsk, it's all free software and open standards anyway.
hehehe... I am currently testing Gran Paradiso 3.0a5, and I love it over 2.0 and 1.5.x :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

AmyRose wrote: hehehe... I am currently testing Gran Paradiso 3.0a5, and I love it over 2.0 and 1.5.x :D
Well, well ... there is hope for you yet. :)
Haven't tried 3.0 yet. ABP takes up enough time and I have to use 2.0 just to make sure that the filtering and ABP work correctly with the mainstream public's browser.
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

AmyRose wrote:
VF wrote:From personal experience, yes you can (although there's no way to automatically update it, though maybe you could write a script for that). Also I believe konqueror does support whitelisting, if you do @@somesite.com somesite.com will be whitelisted. I haven't used KDE or Konqueror in quite a while though
According to the people on #kde on Freenode, it does not support whitelisting yet, but they said they were working on it.
Interesting, I just tried and you're right, @@ doesn't whitelist or anything. I have no idea why I remember it working, though.