"Acceptable" whitelist requests?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Kon Peki

"Acceptable" whitelist requests?

Post by Kon Peki »

We all know that some people are willing to see some ads, which they consider "acceptable", and that some ad blockers even default to allowing these ads. I was wondering if the same were true for whitelist requests.

I am a publisher who uses Adsense ads. My sites show a single line of normal-sized plain text to visitors with ads blocked. It says:
Please consider whitelisting us. How and why.
It links to a page explaining that we are still reliant on ads (looking for other ways to pay bills but so far haven't worked that out) and explaining how to whitelist our site.

Thing is, the "Adblock Warning Removal List" filter and other like it automatically removes that single line of text. I understand why people don't want to see annoying banners and popups asking to be whitelisted, but I'd like to see some of these filters allow a very small line of plain text making this request.

Hopefully something analogous to "Acceptable Ads" can be developed. Ie, "Acceptable Whitelist Requests".

Hopefully I don't get flamed here. Not suggesting that everyone should have to see ads OR whitelist requests. But some people are willing to see the former, and I'll bet some are willing to see the latter.
Khrin
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Khrin »

Can't say specifically for your site without more details, but we do already have a policy for Anti Adblock warnings: https://easylist.to/2013/05/10/anti-adb ... dmins.html
Kon Peki

Post by Kon Peki »

Khrin wrote:Can't say specifically for your site without more details, but we do already have a policy for Anti Adblock warnings: https://easylist.to/2013/05/10/anti-adblock-guide-for-site-admins.html
Thanks for your reply. My message meets all the criteria laid out in that policy. Can I request that it be removed from the "Adblock Warning Removal List" filter? If so, how can I do that?
Kon Peki

Post by Kon Peki »

Thank you for that link. I sent an email to request unblocking of my measure, which is 100% in compliance with your policy.