Filter Subscription Stats

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Yes, and EasyList download numbers double every 6 months - stable tendency. Now that's scary...
Not a problem. In at most 11 years this will catch up with the world's population, automatically limiting additional server strain. 8) :lol:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

chewey wrote:
Wladimir Palant wrote:Yes, and EasyList download numbers double every 6 months - stable tendency. Now that's scary...
Not a problem. In at most 11 years this will catch up with the world's population, automatically limiting additional server strain. 8) :lol:
Well, after reading an article recently that claims that, at the current bandwidth growth, the internet backbone will reach max capacity in 2010. Let's just say that we are doing our part to extend that a few more years ;-) :
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1034_3-6237715.html
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Rick, you must consider that the numbers for May are incomplete - statistics for a few days were lost in the server transition. If you take this into account, 14.7 million downloads for June aren't anything extraordinary. Still, the amount of traffic in June was quite a bit higher than I expected (that's partly because now all the traffic is considered, rather than outgoing web traffic only on the old server).
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

chewey wrote:Not a problem. In at most 11 years this will catch up with the world's population, automatically limiting additional server strain. 8) :lol:
Actually, my math says at most 6 years. I hope that Intel&Co can keep up with this - I doubt that my server can handle 4096 times more traffic :)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Rick, you must consider that the numbers for May are incomplete - statistics for a few days were lost in the server transition. If you take this into account, 14.7 million downloads for June aren't anything extraordinary. Still, the amount of traffic in June was quite a bit higher than I expected (that's partly because now all the traffic is considered, rather than outgoing web traffic only on the old server).
My mistake, I didn't do May's numbers. If I remember April correctly, June's numbers would be about a one million or more downloads higher ... that would be ONLY 200,000 more subscribers :surprised: .... where are we failing? :mrgreen:
....14.7 million downloads for June aren't anything extraordinary ....
Well, that IS an extraordinary number! .... I guess it just isn't the big percentage gains we have seen in the past. I've noticed that the EasyList has leveled off the last few months though. I think this is good that it has. The numbers seem much more stable now. Is that because the hits from other ad blocking programs that are trying to use the EasyList have stopped hitting us so sporadically?

ps: Watch the numbers for Monday the 7th Wladimir. If I am calculating events correctly, I expect a VERY large hit on that day ... probably one million (should be a BIG surge after noontime over there). Tuesday will probably be higher than normal, too. ;-)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:
chewey wrote:Not a problem. In at most 11 years this will catch up with the world's population, automatically limiting additional server strain. 8) :lol:
Actually, my math says at most 6 years. I hope that Intel&Co can keep up with this - I doubt that my server can handle 4096 times more traffic :)
We'd definitely have to change to:

Code: Select all

! Expires after 4096 days
:lol:
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

rick752 wrote:My mistake, I didn't do May's numbers. If I remember April correctly, June's numbers would be about a one million or more downloads higher ...
You don't have to remember them, they are still in the statistics - at the very top ;)
Yes, June numbers are 1.3 million higher than April's (> 200,000 new users) - but an increase like that over two months happened a few times already.
The numbers seem much more stable now. Is that because the hits from other ad blocking programs that are trying to use the EasyList have stopped hitting us so sporadically?
Nope, the only time these programs made an impact was in March - when a bug made them start downloading EasyList in a loop. Usually they have too few users to show up in the statistics.

I think everybody was simply waiting for Firefox 3. Now that it is released we will see big jumps again.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote: You don't have to remember them, they are still in the statistics - at the very top ;)
Oh! I never realized that more info was there before. I thought it just was a link to the file. Cool! 8)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

September 2008 stats (been a while)

The standalone EasyList did over 17 million downloads for September at a conservative update rate of approximately every 5.7 days. That's about 3.3 million steady subscribers.

I'd like to commend Lian (and Pirlouy), the author of the French supplemental list (Liste FR), for hitting 2 million downloads for the "Liste FR + EasyList" combo subscription for French language (this doesn't include any numbers for his standalone hosting).

All totaled, subscriptions that include the EasyList exceeded 20 million downloads this month. This does NOT include the stand-alone EasyElement or the Tracking Filter subscriptions :)
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

There has been an interesting development after EasyList and EasyElement have been merged - EasyList got a pretty solid increase, all users who have been using EasyList+EasyElement combined subscription before. As a result, last Monday EasyList for the first time exceeded 1 million downloads on a single day. In total, there are definitely more than 4 million subscribers now, I would guess that the actual number is around 5 million.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Cool 8)

I was wondering when it was going to go over a million downloads for a single day. Wow! :biggrin:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Awesome!!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Just a quick update ... and 3 milestones for January 2009

The stand-alone EasyList did over 22 million downloads in January ... which puts users at about:
4 million steady subscribers.
(*** This does NOT include any stats from the +EasyList "combined" subscriptions. I would guess that adding those would put it around another half-million to a million users or so.)

4 million subscribers and over 20 million downloads/month are both EasyList records.

It is also interesting to note that on Monday, January 12, the stand-alone EasyList exceeded one million downloads in a single day! ... that is also a first.

The most notable EasyList combo subscription was Lian's Liste_FR +EasyList. Lian's combo subscription did a very respectable 3,137,981 subscriptions/month ... this actually put it ahead of the EasyPrivacy subscription. So congrats, Lian :D

Rock & Roll :banana:
congrats

Post by congrats »

Congrats!

Just wondering though if the lists were served in a compressed form (gzip etc..)..

since the compressed file at http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/easylist/ ... 752.txt.gz would consume less bandwith compared to uncompressed text

Just a quick calculation here, since size of the standalone Easylist is 50 KB atm,

50 KB x 22 million = 1 TB approximately :banana:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

congrats wrote: Just wondering though if the lists were served in a compressed form (gzip etc..)..
Yes they are.
Since the EasyList is served through adblockplus.org to an even a larger open-source server, I do not have the exact zipped file sizes on those. I DO know that they are much smaller than its uncompressed format (Wladimir would know that info)
Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus Author
Adblock Plus Author

Yes, http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/easylist/ ... 752.txt.gz is what you will usually get when requesting http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/easylist/ ... ick752.txt - unless a proxy or a firewall software prevents you from receiving gzip'ed data. That means that while EasyList is currently at 50 kB most people will still download 17 kB. Which gives you "only" somewhat less than 400 GB of traffic. I'm glad that MozDev is handling all that traffic now...

PS: EasyList exceeded one million downloads again yesterday.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote: I'm glad that MozDev is handling all that traffic now...
Yeah, me too. Thanx MozDev. Who ever would've thought that those numbers would be that huge :-)
PS: EasyList exceeded one million downloads again yesterday.
For a 5-day update cycle, that is amazing! :mrgreen: