Firefox seemingly takes a stand on blocking

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Firefox seemingly takes a stand on blocking

Post by rick752 »

Anyone who did or is about to update to Firefox 2.0.0.6 should take notice of the page after your update completes that congratulates you for a successful update to the new Firefox. You will notice that it says:
Over 10,000 people test Firefox every day to help keep you safe on the Web.

Make Firefox your own with Add-ons!
Customize Firefox to make it easier to listen to music, check the weather, upload photos, block stuff you don't like, and do whatever you like to do best on the web.
:D :D :D
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg Verified »

I like how they put that. Very politically correct!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Yeah Dogg. How 'bout that! I was kinda surprised when I saw that sentence. I missed it the first time but it caught my eye just as I closed it. But I still had to update Fx on my usb drive so I copied & pasted it when that one came up.
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

Nah, that's not so surprising, Adblock Plus has been up there in the recommended addons for a long time.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

VF wrote:Nah, that's not so surprising, Adblock Plus has been up there in the recommended addons for a long time.
Hey VF. How are ya doing? :D

Being up in the addons is only because of the amount of downloads ABP does. It HAS to rank you accordingly otherwise it would not be a very honest system now would it. But for the makers of Firefox to actually write that little snippet on their own is certainly a big deal to me. :)
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

rick752 wrote:Hey VF. How are ya doing? :D
Truthfully? Annoyed because I just got my bike stolen. Otherwise good, I hardly ever remember to peek around here.
rick752 wrote:Being up in the addons is only because of the amount of downloads ABP does. It HAS to rank you accordingly otherwise it would not be a very honest system now would it. But for the makers of Firefox to actually write that little snippet on their own is certainly a big deal to me. :)
Hmm, is that how they do it now? Seems like it, I seem to remember it wasn't just popularity before though, ah well.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

rick752 wrote:Being up in the addons is only because of the amount of downloads ABP does.
Actually, no. The "recommended addons" go through an additional review process.
See http://adblockplus.org/blog/the-good-news-keep-coming
VF
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by VF »

chewey wrote: Actually, no. The "recommended addons" go through an additional review process.
See http://adblockplus.org/blog/the-good-news-keep-coming
Ah! I thought so.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I probably should have reworded that ... I missed an important part, chewey.
Being up in the addons is only because of the amount of downloads ABP does ...
..... rated over the last 7 days!

The reason that Wladimir was told that there would be a restructuring was NOT because they were hand-picking extensions to put on the top of the list ... it was because extensions previously were ranked for their "lifelong" downloads. Adblock Plus would have NEVER been able to catch the original Adblock because of that system even though it was being downloaded at a rate of over 10 to 1 over the old Adblock every week. The top extensions on AMO are all NOW listed in order with how many downloads they did in the last 7 days. That is why you will see new releases jump a couple of spots at times and then settle back.

ps: I know this because I always followed the "past 7 day" download numbers on AMO when ABP was making its march to the top. It would get closer in downloads to the one before it (when Mozillla used to actually show those numbers) ... and I would just wait for ABP to take that spot away.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

Ahhh, what a great misunderstanding :)
I take part of the blame, I quoted the wrong part to contradict...

We are talking about different lists. Note the "recommended" instead of "popular"
The list VF and I mean is that one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/recommended

This list does not use any download numbers for ranking, and is reshuffled regularly
(several times per day). Inclusion in that list is what Wladimir's blog post is about.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Ah .. you are correct ... I remember now that they DID pick it to be on the list (but in the pre-google partnership days). I don't use that list. Forgot about that .. forgive me :cry:

ps: Is anyone else having a tough time getting in to AMO at certain times lately ... like over the last 4 or 5 days? I can't get in right now again. But in 10 minutes it will probably be ok. I even lost my live bookmark feed from them last night. :?
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

rick752 wrote:Is anyone else having a tough time getting in to AMO at certain times lately ... like over the last 4 or 5 days? I can't get in right now again. But in 10 minutes it will probably be ok. I even lost my live bookmark feed from them last night. :?
Sometimes it can be an advantage even in mozillaworld to be outside the USA: Europe has its own
AMO server farm. Didn't notice a thing . 8)