Removing Forbes.com video ads [user]

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
caliwildman

Removing Forbes.com video ads [user]

Post by caliwildman »

Recently, Forbes ad videos are allowed, especially on the homepage, not to mention that it starts to play automatically, very annoying, can this be rectified easily? Thanks.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

First, this has been allowed for a while now. Second, ABP has no control over the 'autoplay' feature in videos without deleting the entire player itself (in this case, it needs to be whitelisted though). The ads also need to play to allow the video to run. So now you have 3 choices.

1. You can simply leave things as they are so you can see the videos on the site and put up with the autoplaying video on the homepage.

2. You can disable the video whitelisting string for forbes which will allow no videos to be played at all (including the one on the homepage).

3. You can leave things as they are and install the "Stop Autoplay" Firefox extension which disables the 'autoplay' command in embedded video:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1765

Sorry.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
caliwildman

Post by caliwildman »

Very sneaky of forbes, thanks, I will live with it for now. Thanks.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

caliwildman wrote:Very sneaky of forbes, thanks, I will live with it for now. Thanks.
Even if the video player wasn't whitelisted, there would be a 'slim' chance that the ads could be removed from the video WITHOUT still having to wait through the allocated time that the ad WOULD have run there before the main content would start anyways.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg Verified »

rick752 wrote:3. You can leave things as they are and install the "Stop Autoplay" Firefox extension which disables the 'autoplay' command in embedded video:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1765
Another extension that I find works well for players and website annoyances in general is Flashblock. Just another option, it's about the same thing as the "Stop Autoplay" except it puts a play button on all Flash, which I like. I've recently decided to give it a go without NoScript. Flash block covers whatever ABP and Ricks list don't. I hate sites that rely on Flash anyway..and don't return to them. Just thought I would offer another option to that extension.
caliwildman

Post by caliwildman »

Thanks, I will check it out.
Alan Baxter Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter Verified »

IceDogg wrote:I've recently decided to give it a go without NoScript.
Hush your mouth! :shock: I've been talking up ABP and Easy List/Element/Track subscriptions on the NoScript forum as the perfect complement to NoScript. Are you really gonna let any old web site run JavaScript in your browser? :?
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Yea I know Alan, it's risky at best. I've went back and forth with this a lot. Don't get me wrong I'm not against NoScript. It's a great extension and I still would recommend it to anyone. For me, it got to be more trouble and I'm not sure of it's worth (for me). I could go into more detail but I don't want to bore everyone LOL. But this isn't necessary permanent. Just seeing how it goes. New javascript vulnerabilities in Firefox could have me reinstalling it ASAP.
Alan Baxter Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter Verified »

IceDogg, I used to rely on NoScript to block CPU and bandwidth sucking JavaScripts, but ABP and the subscription lists are so mature and well-maintained that I'm more willing to Allow JavaScript on trusted sites then before. I just use it for security and Flash and Java blocking now.
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

First sorry to keep talking off topic..

Well Alan, I've reinstalled it and apparently the issue I was having has been fixed. I should have been more patient. Just wanted to let you know that I'm a user of NoScript again. Hmmm, sounds like I'm talking about a drug. No! It's better! haha