facebook like and fan frames [rej]

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
god_steve

facebook like and fan frames [rej]

Post by god_steve »

For easy privacy:

Blocks the new facebook "like" buttons:

Code: Select all

|http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?*$third-party,subdocument
Blocks the fans frame:

|http://www.facebook.com/plugins/fan.php?*$third-party,subdocument
example page:
http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/flattr-will ... rn-helfen/
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael Verified »

Please search before suggesting filters; there are usually good reasons why filters have been rejected...
Michael wrote:People who publicly announce their personal details on such social networking sites should realise that their online activities can be monitored by the domain. To avoid this, the user should simply log out of their account.

If there are any items that specifically track the user I will consider adding filters for them to EasyPrivacy.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

Disable third-party cookies in Firefox and then all third-party sites (including Google, Facebook) won't be able to track you via cookies at least.
Zombie Contributor
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Yeah Erunno!!!!! :D :idea:
Your one is a very good suggestion!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :idea: :D

bye!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg Verified »

Erunno wrote:Disable third-party cookies in Firefox and then all third-party sites (including Google, Facebook) won't be able to track you via cookies at least.
Yep, I've been doing this for a several years now. In fact I disable all cookies and use Permit Cookies to allow only a few select sites (like this forum) that I feel are important enough to be allowed. It's done wonders for me. I feel it also improves performance in the browser, but I've never bothered to test.
Hubird Verified
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird Verified »

IceDogg wrote:
Erunno wrote:Disable third-party cookies in Firefox and then all third-party sites (including Google, Facebook) won't be able to track you via cookies at least.
Yep, I've been doing this for a several years now. In fact I disable all cookies and use Permit Cookies to allow only a few select sites (like this forum) that I feel are important enough to be allowed. It's done wonders for me. I feel it also improves performance in the browser, but I've never bothered to test.
I like the idea of permit cookies but it has not been updat since 2007 and does not official support the current version of firefox. I'm going to look around for alternatives that are still maintained.
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Hubird wrote:I like the idea of permit cookies but it has not been updat since 2007 and does not official support the current version of firefox. I'm going to look around for alternatives that are still maintained.
True, but it still works perfectly. I might should fine a good alternative myself. But what I like about it, is it does only the simple thing and does it well. To many other cookie extensions try to do to much.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

IceDogg wrote:Yep, I've been doing this for a several years now. In fact I disable all cookies and use Permit Cookies to allow only a few select sites (like this forum) that I feel are important enough to be allowed. It's done wonders for me. I feel it also improves performance in the browser, but I've never bothered to test.
This is problematic especially when white-listing big sites as Firefox will allow sending and receiving of these cookies in third-party context as well (e.g. white-list Facebook and it will receive its cookies on all sites which integrate FB plug-ins). Since I do not want to resort to completely wiping out my cookies with each Firefox restart I currently simply disabled third-party cookies and hope that EL+EP will keep the majority of tracking scripts at bay. And with each new major version of Firefox I create a new profile so the cookies that accumulate over time do not stick around for decades.
Zombie Contributor
MonztA Verified
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA Verified »

I have a whitelist for special sites where I need cookies. All the other cookies are deleted when closing Firefox. No add-on needed. :-)
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Erunno wrote:This is problematic especially when white-listing big sites as Firefox will allow sending and receiving of these cookies in third-party context as well (e.g. white-list Facebook and it will receive its cookies on all sites which integrate FB plug-ins). Since I do not want to resort to completely wiping out my cookies with each Firefox restart I currently simply disabled third-party cookies and hope that EL+EP will keep the majority of tracking scripts at bay. And with each new major version of Firefox I create a new profile so the cookies that accumulate over time do not stick around for decades.
I think you misunderstood what I do. I don't allow third party cookies or any cookies until I allow them. So all cookies are blocked.. then if I allow Facebook then FaceBook and ONLY Facebook will be able to send cookies. It works that way for me anyway. As long as you don't allow third party cookies. So it's basically two separate settings. Under options/privacy/cookies I have both allow third party cookies and allow cookies unchecked. Then using permit cookies I allow FaceBook to save cookies and any other site trying to save cookies via FaceBook is NOT allowed. So, mine is working different then yours for some reason. Don't know why, but I have tested this many times.
MonztA wrote:I have a whitelist for special sites where I need cookies. All the other cookies are deleted when closing Firefox. No add-on needed. :-)
The problem with that approach is they track you as you browse, until you close Firefox. I prefer they not save cookies at all so there is NO tracking done period and they are not using my HD at all either. But that's just personal preference. And my add-on is less then 20k so it's super light.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

IceDogg wrote:I think you misunderstood what I do. I don't allow third party cookies or any cookies until I allow them. So all cookies are blocked.. then if I allow Facebook then FaceBook and ONLY Facebook will be able to send cookies.
Firefox' exception settings for cookies override all other settings unfortunately. If you "allow" cookies from a site then it's always in a first and third party context independent of what the settings in the regular privacy panel are. But since I got the impression that you are deleting cookies anyway after closing a session this shouldn't bother you anyway as the amount of tracking is even then minimal.
Zombie Contributor
IceDogg Verified
Contributor
Contributor

ok Erunno, it was me that misunderstood. You mean if I have, for example, Facebook in my exceptions and then have third party unchecked and I then visit say cnn.com and Facebook has a third party cookie there then it will be allowed? Because it's in my exceptions, correct?

Edit: btw, I don't remove cookies as I don't (or didn't think I did) allow cookies I don't want. btw, do you have a link with more detail on this?
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

You can test it yourself.

1. Install Live HTTP headers.
2. Disable all cookies.
3. Allow facebook.com in an exception.
4. Log into your Facebook account.
5. Turn on Live HTTP headers (Tools menu)
6. Go to cnn.com
7. Look for connections to facebook.com

I went through the all steps as described. This is the relevant section from the recording:

Host: www.facebook.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; de; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: de-de,de;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 115
Connection: keep-alive
Referer: http://edition.cnn.com/
Cookie: datr=1274388733-d22cbe3837090ab3678d125052db5e1a3f42c79dd13dc4cf3f7cb; lsd=OJYIX; lxe=erunno%40xxx.tv; c_user=1646103119; lo=hmeQ5pDn6NyrpGPdrBvKLA; lxs=1; sct=1274388744; xs=c30f9427964ff12c78f133d63653336d; x-referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fhome.php%23%2Fhome.php; presence=DJ274388745G35H1L1646103119MF274388746076WMblcMsndPBbloMbvtMctMsbPBtA_7bQBfAnullBuctMsA0QBblADacMutP274388745Z900BlcMcvrA_7bQQQ
Pretty much all relevant cookie data: Your login email address, the unique facebook ID stored in the cookies, etc.
Zombie Contributor
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Erunno wrote: 1. Install Live HTTP headers.
Yeah!!! :idea: :idea: that's a great addon!!!! Thank you for the suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea: :-? though i use it from long time!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :D

I added google.com in the list of websites that cannot store cookies, using the built-in feature of firefox :roll: i've added "google.com" in the exception as "Blocked" :idea: :roll: but it doesn't work, because i see google is saving its cookies :-? :-? :roll:

bye!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

bee wrote:
Erunno wrote: 1. Install Live HTTP headers.
Yeah!!! :idea: :idea: that's a great addon!!!! Thank you for the suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea: :-? though i use it from long time!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :D
Actually it was you who pointed me to this particular extension. :D
Zombie Contributor
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

HAH that is super okay!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea:
yeah, it's a good and useful addon!!!! :idea: it's very ok to suggest it!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :biggrin:

bye!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D