www.distrowatch.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
Jco

www.distrowatch.com

Post by Jco »

Hi, first post on this board, thanks for the good work !

Due to some filters in the list, some images do not longuer appear on http://www.distrowatch.com, including the logos of the distro, which is kind of disturbing.

I understand through a little research on this forum that the site is known to change regularly its url to avoid ad blocking. In my situation though, it seems that the ads are almost never blocked, but some pertinent images are.

On a personnal standpoint, and although I'm generally fine with blocking ads on websites, there are some few exceptions where I'd like to let the ads being displayed, when I feel that its not too much intrusive, and it allows for a good information website to keep up.

So, since the rules in the list are inefficient in blocking ads (and results in blocking pertinent images), and since some users like me may actually not want to block them, could we consider taking out of the blacklist the rules linked to that website ?

Or would an "opt out" solution better in that case (like unchecking the boxes in the rules list) ?
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/bd220f2f48d1

This should be fixed with the next automatic update of EasyList.
Zombie Contributor
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

remove this white listed item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprised: :surprised: :-? it disallows my filters to work :roll: :idea: :idea: :D

Code: Select all

@@||distrowatch.com/images/other/$image
bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael Verified »

Removed

Added

||distrowatch.com^*.png|$image
@@||distrowatch.com/images/slavh/$image
@@||distrowatch.com/images/bef/$image
@@||distrowatch.com/images/yudhwhodlc/$image
@@||distrowatch.com/images/ltqkvrc/$image
@@||distrowatch.com/images/hlygwjqrum/$image
This issue has been discussed in the private forum, but it currently appears advisable to block all images and whitelist the legitimate items. In particular, Ares2 requested that we do not leave the adverts unblocked when dealing with this domain.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Michael wrote:Removed

Yeah!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :biggrin: :D Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :idea:

bye!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.
commenter

Post by commenter »

EDITED
Please DON'T whitelist distrowatch.com!
If anyone want's to see their annoying banners (which they intentionally mix with other images to try to circumvent Adblock Plus) one whitelists them for oneself.
The way it is now every time the EasyList is updated distrowatch is whitelisted again.
They constantly update their site to circumvent Adblock Plus, so they should just be completely blocked and, again, if one wants to see their ads/images one whitelists them.
Anyway, please don't whitelist distrowatch.com. It makes no sense.
Thank you again.
Erunno
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Erunno »

Distrowatch falls into Michael's domain so I'll let him handle this.
Zombie Contributor
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael Verified »

Further discussion should take place at http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?t=6489.