pov.spectrum.net

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

pov.spectrum.net

Post by redwolfe_98 »

i had to whitelist "pov.spectrum.net" in order to be able to login to my "spectrum" account, to pay my monthly bill.

spectrum is a cable company, in the USA, like comcast. they provide cable tv and internet services.

here is the rule, in the "easyprivacy" blocklist, that was blocking "pov.spectrum.net":

Code: Select all

/^https?:\/\/pov\.spectrum\.net\/[a-zA-Z0-9]{14,}\.js/$script,domain=spectrum.net

fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Does adding spectrum.net##+js(abort-current-script, tmx_post_session_params_fixed) help?

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

hey fanboy. thanks for the work that you do.

i tried adding the rule that you posted to my custom blocklist but it didn't seem to make a difference. "pov.spectrum.net" was still blocked by the same "easyprivacy" rule that i posted before.

i don't think it is a big problem. like i said, i whitelisted "pov.spectrum.net" and that resolved the problem.

fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Its a threat Metrix script, avoiding to remove. Does this work better;

spectrum.net##+js(abort-current-script, tmx_profiling_started)
redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

fanboy, in your first post you told me to try adding a rule to see if it helped. i was skeptical that it would help since i figured that the easyprivacy-rule that caused the problem in the first place would still be in affect, which it was, and so the problem persisted.

the same with the second rule that you told me to try adding to my custom blocklist: the easyprivacy rule that caused the problem in the first place was still in affect and so the problem persisted.

maybe there is some mis-communication. did you mean for me to disable the rule in the easyprivacy blocklist that is causing "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked? if so, i don't know how to do that.

as long as the rule that is causing "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked remains in the easyprivacy blocklist, i don't think that adding more rules is going to disable that rule.

you can test things yourself by going to the spectrum login page, then clicking "sign in," which takes you to "id.spectrum.net." on the "id.spectrum.net" webpage, "ublock origin" shows that "pov.spectrum.net" is blocked.

https://www.spectrum.net/

you don't have to be able to sign in to spectrum.net. you still can see that "pov.spectrum.net" is being blocked on the "id.spectrum.net" webpage without logging in to a spectrum account.

incidentally, the "id.spectrum.net" webpage will show some kind of "error message" if you refresh the webpage. that "error message" comes up when the login was not successful, for one reason or another. it can be ignored.

maybe the way to solve the problem would be to make an "exception" for the rule that is blocking "pov.spectrum.net" for the "id.spectrum.net" webpage?

https://i.ibb.co/41H4wks/Spectrum-EP2.jpg

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

redwolfe_98 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:50 pm

maybe the way to solve the problem would be to make an "exception" for the rule that is blocking "pov.spectrum.net" for the "id.spectrum.net" webpage?

to add to what i was saying, i only see "pov.spectrum.net" being used on the "id.spectrum.net" webpage.

intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

To disable that filter:

/^https?:\/\/pov\.spectrum\.net\/[a-zA-Z0-9]{14,}\.js/$script,domain=spectrum.net,badfilter
redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

i tried using the "badfilter" rule and when i did that "pov.spectrum.net" was no longer blocked. however for some reason i still was not able to log in to my spectrum account.

i changed things back, removing the "badfilter" rule and re-enabling the rule for whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" and then i was able to login to my spectrum account.

i tested using the "badfilter" rule multiple times, to make sure that i was doing things right, but for some reason i was not able to log in to my spectrum account despite the fact that "pov.spectrum.net" was no longer being blocked.

again, when "pov.spectrum.net" was whitelisted, then i was able to log in to my spectrum account.

i think you should leave the rule that is causing "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked but whitelist "pov.spectrum.net."

when the rule that is causing "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked is removed, it allows "h-charter.online-metrix.net" to come up. that is why i say leave the rule that is causing "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked, because it is preventing "h-charter.online-metrix.net" from coming up.

simply whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" (@@||pov.spectrum.net/ ) while leaving the rule that is blocking "pov.spectrum.net" allows me to sign in to my spectrum account.

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

i was wrong. "h-charter.online-metrix.net" comes up either way. it is blocked by peter lowe's blocklist.

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

i tested things again and all i can say is that, somehow, that "badfilter" rule causes me not to be able to login to my spectrum account, and it doesn't matter if "pov.spectum.net" is whitelisted or not, i still cannot log in to my spectrum account with the "badfilter" rule applied.

if i remove the "badfilter" rule, and "pov.spectrum.net" is whitelisted, then i can log in to my spectrum account.

intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

badfilter has nothing to do with your issue. It's impossible, badfilter just nullify a filter, does not block anything.

However, I see in the uBO's logger another easyprivacy filter:

/fp/clear.png

complete path => https://pov.spectrum.net/fp/clear.png

so, when you whitelist pov.spectrum.net this path will also be whitelisted

So, try keeping badfilter and add too:

@@||pov.spectrum.net/fp/clear.png$xhr,domain=id.spectrum.net
redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

intense wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:17 am

try keeping badfilter and add too:

@@||pov.spectrum.net/fp/clear.png$xhr,domain=id.spectrum.net

intense, thank you for your help and your patience.

i did some more testing. with "badfilter" applied, "pov.spectrum.net" was no long blocked but i still was not able to log in to my spectrum account.

i saw that "h-charter.online-metrix.net" was blocked so i tried whitelisting that and then i was able to log in to my spectrum account.

i am just going to leave things as they are with no badfilter applied and no whitelisting of "pov.spectrum.net." i will whitelist "pov.spectrum.net" temporarily when i need to log in to my spectrum account. whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" allows me to log in to my spectrum account. that is, with things as they are, with no "badfilter" rule applied. with the badfilter rule applied, then there is another problem where "h-charter.online-metrix.net" has to be whitelisted in order for me to be able to log in to my spectrum account.

for what it is worth, this is what i saw in one of the the ublock origin logs that i looked at:

https://h-charter.online-metrix.net/
aliasURL=https://pov.spectrum.net/xyw9g0gmqbwxe2jh.js?2mkawwjhzpyehjs0=8u1r0g4p&l5oc41u09rg84ami=v7qirflm9x1658332277654
redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Okay, disabling Peter Lowes list help?

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

fanboy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:04 am

Okay, disabling Peter Lowes list help?

fanboy, read my last post. i said that if i disable the rule that causes "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked, mentioned in my first post, then i have to whitelist "h-charter.online-metrix.net" in order to be able to log in to my spectrum account.

if i don't disable the rule that causes "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked, then simply whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" allows me to log in to my spectrum account, without whitelisting "h-charter.online-metrix.net."

i think the solution to the problem is to simply add a rule for whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net":

@@||pov.spectrum.net/

'
apparently whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net," in this case, does NOT unleash the "online-metrix.net" port-scanning, which is what you were trying to prevent.

i think it is important to add a rule for whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" in order for the millions of spectrum customers to be able to log in to their spectrum accounts, in order to be able to pay their monthly spectrum bills, among other things.

fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

@@||h-charter.online-metrix.net^$domain=spectrum.net

Will this work

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

fanboy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:32 am

@@||h-charter.online-metrix.net^$domain=spectrum.net

Will this work

we don't want to whitelist "online-metrix.net" which is the "threatmetrix" port-scanning that we are wanting to block.

we don't want to remove the rule that is causing "pov.spectrum.net" to be blocked, since it is intended to block the threatmetrix port-scanning.

leaving things as they are, simply whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" allows one to log in to their spectrum account while apparently not unleashing the threatmetrix port-scanning, as far as i can tell.

i don't want to remove the rule that is blocking pov.spectrum.net, which you also said that you did not want to remove, and i don't want to whitelist "online-metrix.net," which unleashes the threatmetrix port-scanning, which we are wanting to block.

simply whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" seems to be the solution in this case. whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" allows me to log in to my spectrum account without changing anything else.

if things change, i will come back and we will deal with that.

the threatmatrix port-scanning doesn't really concern me, either way. i simply want to be able to log in to my spectrum account in order to be able to pay my monthly bill, among other things, and simply whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net" allows me to do that, with the blocklists-rules as they are, currently.

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

i see the problem, now, why you all seem to be reluctant to whitelist "pov.spectrum.net," because things don't work the same with the google chrome browser as they do with the firefox browser, which is what i use.

whitelisting "pov.spectrum.net," with the chrome browser, unleashes the threatmatrix port-scanning..

redwolfe_98
Site Member
Site Member

Post by redwolfe_98 »

let me add, as for the various rules that you all suggested that i try, i didn't know what to do with them..

i can understand adding them to my custom-blocking-list but that is all that i would know to do with them.