All Glitch Social Mastodon instances

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
unascribed

All Glitch Social Mastodon instances

Post by unascribed »

Hopefully the subject is acceptable; this affects dozens of websites running specific software, and I'm an administrator of one of them and manage a media storage coalition with multiple member instances reporting this issue. The first I'd heard of it was yesterday (October 17th). This may be affecting mainline Mastodon instances too, but I don't run one and haven't seen reports of it. If it does, that bumps up the affected sites from "dozens" to "hundreds".

Attempting to open a thread or post in an "expanded" view on any of the affected instances (an essential function not at all related to tracking or ads) results in the sidebar failing to load, as the adblocker blocks the JavaScript module file from being loaded.

EasyPrivacy contains a rule blocking "/async/stat", which is matching on the "/packs/js/flavours/glitch/async/status-{HASH}.chunk.js" JavaScript module file. An example of the affected module on my instance is:

Code: Select all

https://mastodon.sleeping.town/packs/js/flavours/glitch/async/status-dae38e4b4ade0fffa64c.chunk.js
(This file is Webpack output and contains a cache buster hash; it may become a 404 in the future)

As said, this breaks an essential function of the software and is resulting in a lot of issue reports and confusion. (Nevertheless, I appreciate all the effort required to maintain a list of this size, and even if there are occasional hiccups, EasyList and friends are very useful.)

It's odd to me this is even performing a substring match; is this possibly a quirk of uBlock Origin?

The commit introducing this (found manually; GitHub explodes if you try to load blame on this file, and cloning the repo has stalled at 40%) is 7daf3719.
ffff

Post by ffff »

This affects Pleroma using the MastoFE glitch soc front end as well.

Can you please update the rule to match the offending script more specifically? Maybe a trailing slash or file extension if possible or a regex to match the end. Not sure but it's nuking a script used on the front end of glitch soc.

Thanks
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ Verified »

I think that's still an old filter did you update your filters after fanboy made a change?
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
unascribed

Post by unascribed »

Thanks!
ffff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:51 pm This affects Pleroma using the MastoFE glitch soc front end as well.
[snip]

Can you please update the rule to match the offending script more specifically? Maybe a trailing slash or file extension if possible or a regex to match the end. Not sure but it's nuking a script used on the front end of glitch soc.

Thanks
LanikSJ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:56 pm I think that's still an old filter did you update your filters after fanboy made a change?
Yeah, that's definitely the old rule. You need to click the clock to the right of EasyPrivacy in the "Filter lists" tab in uBlock Origin to force an update, then hit "Update now" at the top. EasyPrivacy's update frequency is 4 days and uBlock honors it.