How to Filter

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
iban

How to Filter

Post by iban »

Yea what a useless geek I am having to ask that question. Well, certainly easy-list is no good name for other than fanboy's lists. Because to me using anything else is impossible. It seem I have to use 3rd party software to take advantage of what's at https://hg.adblockplus.org/ ? Do I want to give FOP a try? I have no idea how to take advantage of manual filter.
What I'm trying to achieve are of the more advanced. Social buttons, cookie warnings, ad-filter-warning-filter.

Already running:
× Enabled EasyList (confirmed champion filter)
× Enabled I don't care about cookies (doesn't work at all)
× Enabled Fanboy's Annoyance List (no effect)
× Enabled Fanboy's Social Blocking List (no effect)
× Enabled Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List (does nothing that the first one doesn't)
× Enabled Anti-Facebook List (no effect)

Not easy to tell which filters work and which doesn't. For all I know the social blocking list works, just not on the sites I try. Cookie one seem to have no effect.

Browser is Opera 12.18 which surely make things more complicated, but not like there ever is any alternative to such a superior browser. Also using Vivaldi, Otter and Tor. None of which are real alternatives. Vivaldi need to fire half their crew.

And this forum is telling me recapthca submitted was incorrect. There's no prompt for captcha. Submitting with IE instead. :x
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I've never used Opera or any other browser you've listed here. Let's start by you telling us what you're trying to filter and we'll figure it out from there.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
iban

Post by iban »

Quick handling. Nice :!:

Sorry for not being clear. What I'm looking to filter is all social buttons, cookie warnings and ad-filter warnings.

Would expect majority of users on this forum to at least have tried Tor browser, no matter it's just for maximum privacy purposes or to access sites that are otherwise blocked in your country, a list of sites which are growing fast and will be heavily politically influenced in years to come with massive purges of networks. Well that's my prediction.

Let it be said that official Opera is something entirely different than the x64 12.18 version I'm using. Vivaldi is the remake of Opera original which 12.18 still hold on to, although Vivaldi are failing hard at succeeding, Otter > Vivaldi, but Otter is still a step back with major speed issues and a 15yo UI template that belonged to very early versions of opera.

I'm always on the lookout for a new browser. Chrome is of the devil itself. Firefox is like being handicapped while Opera make you an athlete, of course provided that the user are interested in tailoring his browsing experience > "this forum" :banana:
anonsubmitter
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by anonsubmitter »

Fanboy's Social Blocking List and Anti-Facebook List are both included in Fanboy's Annoyance List, so having those two filter lists enabled is a waste of CPU. Isn't Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List just the older name that was used for what is now known simply as EasyList?

You shouldn't install add-ons or mess around with Tor's settings apart from turning on/off JavaScript when it's needed. Customizing Tor by adding add-ons will create a browser fingerprint that might very well be unique and is trackable.
ibans

Post by ibans »

Thanks for that input anon. Pretty sure you are right about easylist. activating/deactivating old one proves to lag browser also.

Now only running easylist and annoyance list. "idc about cookies" pending until i find a site nagging about it again. And honestly can't find anything on all the sites i visit now, except some embedded social buttons. I have hard time browsing on command, got to wait for will before i thoroughly experience current setup.

Strange thing. I had a site-banner blocked with browsers content blocker together with the surplus fanboy lists. With this setup the embedded social buttons got blocked together with the banner, removed the banner from content blocker and social buttons reappeared together with the banner. Reactivated content block only to find a completely new situation, with the banner not only blocked, but completely removed. However, the social buttons are now left. The site proves to be a nice contender to test. I have to block the banner to get rid of other ads. appstore ad that is.
http://guides.gamepressure.com/pillarsofeternity/guide.asp?ID=30003

Good note about Tor. Though I only use that browser for TPB and potential sensitive searches like how to make a lasting stink bomb :mrgreen:

Suppose there's not much more to this case now, but with cleansed filters allow me to take it from a different angle. What filters are recommended for full protection against ads, social buttons, cookie warnings and ad-filter warnings? If such a heavenly browsing experience can be attained that is.

Sorry all the text.

Stupid captcha. A garbage truck is not a commercial truck.
WarFame
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by WarFame »

The Anti-Facebook list is not included in the Annoyances List, only the Social List is.
Fanboy Ultimate List is not simply EasyList. It's Easylist, Easyprivacy, Enhanced Trackers List and Annoyances List (therefore also Social List) combined. Using any of those while also using Ultimate List is redundant.

Source: fanboy.co.nz

Ultimate List is also the one I would recommend for the most complete filtering. I personally simply use all of the filter lists in uBlock Origin (except for some of the region specific ones) but one might consider that overkill.
Raja-X

Post by Raja-X »

WarFame wrote:The Anti-Facebook list is not included in the Annoyances List, only the Social List is.
Fanboy Ultimate List is not simply EasyList. It's Easylist, Easyprivacy, Enhanced Trackers List and Annoyances List (therefore also Social List) combined. Using any of those while also using Ultimate List is redundant.

Source: fanboy.co.nz

Ultimate List is also the one I would recommend for the most complete filtering. I personally simply use all of the filter lists in uBlock Origin (except for some of the region specific ones) but one might consider that overkill.
anonsubmitter
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by anonsubmitter »

I'm using Easylist, Easyprivacy, Fanboy's Enhanced Trackering List, and Fanboy's Annoyance List as separate lists. That way it's much easier to troubleshoot which filter breaks stuff when some page element is incorrectly blocked.