Logins don't keep.

General forum information, announcements, news, questions and suggestions.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Logins don't keep.

Post by rick752 »

Is anyone else having problems with the login info keeping?

It seems that when I come into the forum at times, I will lose my login randomly during the session. It mostly happens while I have the forum open in Firefox but then use an email notification link to open a new tab with that topic. At times, that will cause the the loss of my login.

@Lanik
Is there supposed to be more than one cookie here? I looked and there was one cookie for "lanik.us" and then 3 other listings under "forums.lanik.us". If I delete them and then login againt, it only seem to be a matter of time before it happens again.
Does this happen to you?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

rick752 wrote:Is anyone else having problems with the login info keeping?
Only if I'm sent to the forum from an email link that uses lanik.us instead of forums.lanik.us, e.g.
If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
http://lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2216&p=9927&e=9927
It seems that when I come into the forum at times, I will lose my login randomly during the session. It mostly happens while I have the forum open in Firefox but then use an email notification link to open a new tab with that topic. At times, that will cause the the loss of my login.
I usually don't have the forum open when I click on the problematic link. But I'm prompted for a login. That's the only time the forum doesn't think I'm already logged in. (I always check "remember me" or something like that.)
@Lanik
Is there supposed to be more than one cookie here? I looked and there was one cookie for "lanik.us" and then 3 other listings under "forums.lanik.us". If I delete them and then login againt, it only seem to be a matter of time before it happens again.
Does this happen to you?
There you are. Sometimes it's lanik.us, sometimes it's forums.lanik.us. They aren't compatible. It appears there's a problem with the email notification. I don't think it should ever use lanik.us without the forums subdomain.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Lets see there is: forums.lanik.us, lanik.us and lanksj.com all point to this place. 3 cookies for each site so yeah you can have upwards of 9 or 10 cookies. Some people use the subdomain others don't most likely you're being redirected by someones post and on that site you're not logged in. It happens to me too. I could just redirect them all here if that works better, let me know.
Alan Baxter wrote:There you are. Sometimes it's lanik.us, sometimes it's forums.lanik.us. They aren't compatible. It appears there's a problem with the email notification. I don't think it should ever use lanik.us without the forums subdomain.
The emails only come from forums.lanik.us, I think I'll put in redirects instead.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

Lanik wrote:I think I'll put in redirects instead.
Good idea. That might solve the problem.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Done every domain I listed above points to forums.lanik.us.

Alan,

You'll have to login to forums.lanik.us and let it set a cookie.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Thanx Lanik. We'll wait & see. So far, so good. :D
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

Lanik wrote:Alan,

You'll have to login to forums.lanik.us and let it set a cookie.
It still remembers me. I'll let you know if I have any problems. Thanks, Lanik.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@ Alan:

Are you the same "Alan" that also just posted on the ABP forum? Just curious if you are the same person.
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

rick752 wrote:Are you the same "Alan" that also just posted on the ABP forum? Just curious if you are the same person.
Yup. Since then I've found it's more consistent across forums to use my full name as a login. That might not be a good idea for everyone, but I'm pretty careful not to post something which can come back to haunt me.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

@ Lanik:

The login seems to be keeping just fine now :D
Good job, my man! :mrgreen: