SSL support and CloudFlare for Lanik.us forums

General forum information, announcements, news, questions and suggestions.
funkydude

Post by funkydude »

Lanik wrote:You're right. I don't care to fix a problem one user is having that I can't reproduce.
You're not even TRYING to reproduce it when you have proxy websites blocked locally. Your logic is so flawed that you associate 1 person that has the knowledge to work around website problems as 1 person having the issue.
Lanik wrote: Obviously if you're posting this you can get to the site.
The beauty of an online forum is that posts are logged. If you have the memory of a goldfish, you can refresh your memory by re-reading my posts and realizing that infact I cannot access the website.
schwarztee
Site Member
Site Member

Post by schwarztee »

@Lanik:
Sorry to say that, but I feel that @funkydude is right. Considering the problem to be a minor issue because there is only one user reporting it (a user who actually managed to circumvent the hurdle) seems a little rash to me. We just don't know of all the other users who failed to access the site. I understand that using CloudFlare is convenient, especially when dealing with huge loads or DoS attacks. Still, it would be cool to have this international site being available to as much users as feasible.

@funkydude:
I couldn't reproduce the issue with hide.me (works well), but received an SSL error with proxfree.com, for all countries I tested. This sounds very much like what's been discussed earlier: CloudFlare uses modern encryption ciphers which some OS/browser combinations or proxy backends do not support. I run a few websites myself and know that it's painful to support outdated clients, don't blame an admin for this.

Maybe it would be nice to have some kind of (insecure) landing page which provides a short list of troubleshooting information. This could also be hosted elsewhere, or be a post on some third-party service, as long as it's easily accessible and appears at the top of searches like “can't access easylist forums”.
funkydude

Post by funkydude »

Here is further evidence of country specific issues. Using https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy

Using Netherlands, error.
Using United States, works.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

funkydude wrote:You're not even TRYING to reproduce it when you have proxy websites blocked locally. Your logic is so flawed that you associate 1 person that has the knowledge to work around website problems as 1 person having the issue.
That's what you think. And you accuse me of flawed logic.
funkydude wrote:The beauty of an online forum is that posts are logged. If you have the memory of a goldfish, you can refresh your memory by re-reading my posts and realizing that infact I cannot access the website.
If you can't access the site then how are you able to complain all this time? Do you have a magic robot making the posts for you? :mrgreen:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

schwarztee wrote:@Lanik:
Sorry to say that, but I feel that @funkydude is right. Considering the problem to be a minor issue because there is only one user reporting it (a user who actually managed to circumvent the hurdle) seems a little rash to me. We just don't know of all the other users who failed to access the site. I understand that using CloudFlare is convenient, especially when dealing with huge loads or DoS attacks. Still, it would be cool to have this international site being available to as much users as feasible.
I don't doubt what he's saying. All I'm saying is I can't fix it if I can't reproduce it. I have no way of knowing how many people would get blocked from coming here, but my hope is if they have issues they'd post them here (provided they can get to this site).
schwarztee wrote:@funkydude:
I couldn't reproduce the issue with hide.me (works well), but received an SSL error with proxfree.com, for all countries I tested. This sounds very much like what's been discussed earlier: CloudFlare uses modern encryption ciphers which some OS/browser combinations or proxy backends do not support. I run a few websites myself and know that it's painful to support outdated clients, don't blame an admin for this.
FINALLY someone with some common sense in this thread.
schwarztee wrote:Maybe it would be nice to have some kind of (insecure) landing page which provides a short list of troubleshooting information. This could also be hosted elsewhere, or be a post on some third-party service, as long as it's easily accessible and appears at the top of searches like “can't access easylist forums”.
I can probably whip someone up but I don't think it can be hosted on this domain.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
crazyskeggy
Site Member
Site Member

Post by crazyskeggy »

After getting 301 redirected for ages to the HTTPS version of the site which always timed out for me in the UK (managed to clear the cache) I've managed to get connected with plain HTTP - I was struggling for ages but at least the HTTPS redirect is off and I'm now able to log on to the site.

EDIT - Scratch that I'm having to pay from my phone again as clicking submit sent me HTTPS-ing again. ISP is Sky (broadband not fibre) if that's any help.

Testing via a proxy like uk-proxy.Co. UK also seems to repro
I usually post here on behalf of AdBlock (not ABP), when users come to us first and we have some reason to get involved with the discussion. (http://support.getadblock.com)
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I tested it from my UK vpn, and it seems fine here. I'd contact your isp if its reproducible.
crazyskeggy
Site Member
Site Member

Post by crazyskeggy »

It actually is working now, which is a relief.
I usually post here on behalf of AdBlock (not ABP), when users come to us first and we have some reason to get involved with the discussion. (http://support.getadblock.com)
funkydude

Post by funkydude »

It works for me now also... as long as I don't use Chrome. Chrome has been temperamental with some HTTPS sites lately. Although it works fine when using a proxy with Chrome.

I guess something was changed, whatever it was, it was about time.
worldsdream
Site Member
Site Member

Post by worldsdream »

It's good that https is enabled and htaccess had a rewrite for forcing everyone to https. XP users should not have access, update your system software. He could make it work for XP users by buying an IP, that will not be SNI(shared)
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Or use a different browser, or upgrade your !15yrd OS.