Proxy.pac Auto-Configuration Script

Hardware and software discussion.
rbsterli

Proxy.pac Auto-Configuration Script

Post by rbsterli »

Brain storming here... Auto-Configuration script - Proxy *.pac file configuration.

Here's the scenario: Speaking IE language here, one would typically go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and set an Auto-configuration URL for a proxy pac file. (Same applies to FireFox but navigation is a bit different).

In my particular case, the proxy pac URL is behind a firewall. So when you connect from HOME, it will seek out the URL and then time out within a reasonable period, and resort to DIRECT connect; because it can't find the autoconfig URL.

They NEED this proxy.pac file to connect to the Internet once inside our VPN.

The problem is: When a customer/user uses a Wireless Broadband Modem (aka aircard) to connect to the Internet, they are ont he "outside". The timeout that normally takes place within 30 seconds or so when on a Time Warner wired/wireless router connection. When on a wireless aircard, the timeout is like 4 minutes.

SO: I think I need a LOCAL pac file that will do the following (in laymans terms):

If my IP is that of my ISP's aircard THEN
RETURN: DIRECT
else
If my IP is that of our VPN THEN
RETURN: http://addressbehindmyfirewall/Proxy.pac
End if

Our internal proxy.pac file gets updated regularly so I cannot copy the contents locally.

Ok, enough babbling - thoughts from here?

Thanks in advance!
Rich
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Hey Rich, buddie. Nice ta' see ya here Mr. ex-site owner :mrgreen:

I don't know if you'll get any response on that here. But I would go over to DSLReports and look at the forums there. That site is HUGE (my third home over on the Mozilla forum).

Absolutely the best site and forums for internet,cable,phone,wireless,etc for communications hardware & software . There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there on subjects like yours. You just have to find the right forum :biggrin: :

http://dslreports.com
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
rbsterli

Post by rbsterli »

Thanks, Rick. I'll try that.

I did post in miscellaneous / computer topics, just taking the odds that someone could point me in the right direction. Not necessarily to be answered here, but I figured a forum member might be able to re-direct me. I already have a post on Experts Exchange. I think I might be able to reduce the timeout in the registry..