SP1 for Vista is available for downloading

Hardware and software discussion.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

SP1 for Vista is available for downloading

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista has been officially released. Before you install it, read this:

Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1

Microsoft strongly recommends that you use Windows Update to download and install SP1. Among other things, the download size is much smaller (SP1 for x86 is 65MB vs. 450MB; SP1 for x64 is 125MB vs. 745MB). However, SP1 won't show up on Windows Update until mid-April.

If you can't wait until April or have a bunch of machines to update, get the standalone installer. It supports English, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish (other languages will be available soon). Here are the download links:

x86 (32-bit)

x64 (64-bit)

I'm interested to know if anyone runs into problems with this update. I don't use Vista myself, but I have to support it on a handful of machines at work.
"A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I'm still an "old-timer" :|

I never trust a new Windows operating system until its SP2 comes out. I am perfectly happy with XP still.
Why do I think that for the first time in history that MS has a non-essential 'loser' on their hands this time? They will have to force Vista on people somehow eventually.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

I just had a look at the OS distribution of my subscribers a couple of days ago - and was surprised at
the rather high percentage of vista users (March 1st-10th):

Code: Select all

Windows:         2197102      (89,11%)
0,02% 95: 350 (0,01%)
0,70% 98: 15466 (0,63%)
0,23% me: 4971 (0,20%)
0,00% ce: 4 (0,00%)
3,80% 2k: 83417 (3,38%)
82,70% xp: 1816990 (73,69%)
0,98% 2k3: 21478 (0,87%)
11,54% vista: 253645 (10,29%)

Linux: 173733 (7,05%)

Mac: 62346 (2,53%)

BSD: 1099 (0,04%)
82,53% free: 907 (0,04%)
11,46% open: 126 (0,01%)
6,01% net: 66 (0,00%)

SunOS: 1073 (0,04%)

Other/NN: 30292 (1,23%)
I really didn't expect to see vista adoption grow so fast.
So contrary to popular belief (and some wishful thinking ;-) ), vista doesn't seem to be a loser at all.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I feel that some don't use it by choice. It's what comes with most new pcs. I think that most who order new pcs (if given a choice) are still choosing XP.

My place of employment still does ... no one uses Vista. We just bought 2 more new Dells today (yuk) complete with XP.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Microsoft has already been talking about the successor to Vista:

Vista successor "Vienna" planned for late 2009

No doubt the lukewarm reception of Vista has something to do with the relatively quick release date of its replacement (assuming that it ships on time :roll: ).

The increase in Vista subscribers is likely due to people who bought new PCs recently. It's next-to-impossible to find XP on a retail machine anymore (Microsoft made damn sure of that...). An 11% uptake rate after being on the market for over a year isn't anything to crow about.

My company buys Dells, too (ugh), and almost all of them come with XP Pro. We've gotten a few Vista machines that I had to "downgrade" to XP (more like a usability upgrade in my book). Other than that, we have a handful of Vista machines that are used for compatibility testing.

It's going to be interesting when June 30th rolls around and Microsoft tries for the second time to force a cutoff in XP sales. I see Linux in my home PC's future....
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

I was an early adopter of Vista, I was using the BETA version as my main o/s and I was fairly pleased with it (for a BETA). I feel that the final version was rushed and should not have been released when it was, with any luck SP1 will bring it up to scratch.

I eventually did go back to using XP and I've got a feeling that sp3 will be nothing more than a bunch of security fixes. WinXP has some serious bugs that I have a nasty feeling Microsoft are never going to fix, eg:

tool tips appear behind the taskbar

CPU Usage Goes Up to 100% Right Clicking On A Folder
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

The Masked Marauder wrote:I'm interested to know if anyone runs into problems with this update. I don't use Vista myself, but I have to support it on a handful of machines at work.
I've just installed it on my machine and there seems to be no problem. Some services I changed/disabled manually and some of my driver settings (Realtek audio and nVidia graphics card) were set to their defaults and everything seems to run more smoothly (UAC etc). I can't say if any of the windows programs (Media Player, IE, Defender, Firewall, ...) have changed because I don't use any of them.
The Masked Marauder wrote:I see Linux in my home PC's future....
I feel exactly the same way. And with the upcoming Ubuntu Hardy and Wine 1.0 I will probably change from my current setup (Vista: default - Ubuntu: alternative/testing) to Ubuntu: default - Vista: only when needed.