Bought a new large-screen tv

Any other business.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bought a new large-screen tv

Post by rick752 »

After about a month of searching, reviewing and going from store to store and looking at all different brands, I finally bought a large screen lcd tv to replace our old Toshiba 32" crt.

We ended up buying a Toshiba 46" 1080p (model# 46RV525U) and I could not be happier with this purchase. I kind of bought this set "blind" as it is a relatively new model and customer reviews are almost non-existent for it on the web. But this set so far is beautiful .... even while watching standard cable (SD) transmissions. The sound is decent and setup was easy. This thing looks good 'right out of the box' .... but some minimal tweaking will make it look even better :D

The wife and I pretty much had our minds made up on a Toshiba lcd tv because in the stores our eyes were always drawn to the Toshiba sets ... plus the crt it is replacing is also a Toshiba and still looks great after 10 years.

Other considerations for purchase were the Sharp Aquos and LG tvs. The Sonys look very nice too, but I find that they are somewhat overpriced and I don't trust their "electronics" quality anymore either (even though I think that Sharp now makes their LCD panels, which I think is a good thing).

I really also don't see what everyone finds so amazing with the Samsung LCDs either. Although Samsung always rates well, I think that Toshiba's Regza, Sharp's Aquos, and the LGs still have a better looking picture as a whole (your mileage may vary by model).

Here's my Toshiba 46RV525U at home on a standard cable channel using one of the widescreen 'sim' modes (HDMI setup next week ... can't wait :biggrin: ):
tv.jpg
tv.jpg (134.37 KiB) Viewed 25327 times
So far, looks like a good choice.

Anyone else care to talk about their lcd tvs?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

We recently brought a Samsung, and so far we are pretty happy apart from a few little things that you never find out until you get the unit home.

It looks like your Hi-Fi system could do with an update now Rick, that amp and graphic equaliser look like they are from the 70's and don't even get me started about the cassette deck :mrgreen:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Hubird wrote: It looks like your Hi-Fi system could do with an update now Rick, that amp and graphic equaliser look like they are from the 70's and don't even get me started about the cassette deck :mrgreen:
They ARE from the 70's and I still love them. There are 2 Kenwood amps in there. The silver one is the main amp. The other is black and can't be seen because it is black . It's used just just for rear surround sound. There are also newer 'black" components that you can't see either in those dark shelves. There are a couple of small Bose speakers mounted up near the ceiling with some decent sounding box speakers in the rear. The tape deck hasn't been used in ages .... I kept that for making tapes for my wife's car and finally bought her a CD player for it in March. Too bad you can only see the old 'brushed silver' components and not the newer black ones.

Believe it or not, the system still sounds great! Old Kenwood amps never die. :D
Hubird wrote:We recently brought a Samsung, and so far we are pretty happy apart from a few little things that you never find out until you get the unit home.
Really...like what? (just curious)
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

[Whinge]

The remote control could have been designed better. It feels the same no matter which way you hold it which means if your not careful you change the channel instead of the volume.

The TV takes a little while to turn on after being in stand by mode, It is like it is booting up (only a few seconds but it is not ideal and not what you would expect from a device that usually is instantly on).

Changing channels is not instantaneous like on the good old CRT.

I'm guessing the above 2 are caused by poor choice of "CPU" in the TV (Or written menu software).

When you bring up the program guide it only displays program information for channels which have already been visited (show names).

Picture wise I have no complaints, it was the best looking unit in the shop (matching our size and price requirements).

[/Whinge]
Last edited by Hubird on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Hubird wrote: The TV takes a little while to turn on after being in stand by mode, It is like it is booting up (only a few seconds but it is not ideal and not what you would expect from a device that usually is instantly on).

Changing channels is not instantaneous like on the good old CRT.
I don't know if it is the TV that causes the channel change delay or my digital cable box (not using the TV tuner). The digital cable box ALWAYS did that when changing channels on the crt too.
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

We don't have a digital cable box to blame the slowness on, all the digital channels we have are over the air. :-(

Sounds like you are using the bose acoustimass speakers ??, Not a bad sounding speaker and will keep the wife happy with the small size. Although I think it's time to let go of the old amp to get the most out of them !!

I usually make a short list of HI-Fi gear from http://whathifi.com/ before purchasing something new, unfortunately it is a UK based mag and it is sometimes hard to get the models they recommend here.
choofieblankets

Post by choofieblankets »

I can't see the picture... :(

Julia
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

What do you mean?
KingNaheem
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by KingNaheem »

http://i.imgur.com/bJqlH6O.png

I think he means that the picture is not clickable to view, i have the same issue.