Blu-ray DVD format wins!

Discussion of news of interest or importance.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Blu-ray DVD format wins!

Post by rick752 »

Seems the battle between Sony's Blu-ray and Toshiba's HD-DVD format wars is finally over. Seems Toshiba has conceded defeat ... so now we can finally all get on with our lives again without another stupid format war:

Source: Toshiba to give up on HD DVD
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6230960.html
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Never used either of them so to me I'm just happy its all come down to one format.

This must be good news since you posted it twice. :mrgreen:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Lanik wrote:This must be good news since you posted it twice. :mrgreen:
Oops ... how did I do that? :oops: Romoved duplicate.

How was the ski trip, Lanik?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

It was GREAT!!! I'm a little tired a little sun tanned, face mostly, but I had a blast. :)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Lanik wrote:It was GREAT!!! I'm a little tired a little sun tanned, face mostly, but I had a blast. :)
Cool. Glad you enjoyed it. The skiing here took a setback .... temps were in the mid 50s here today with plenty of rain and warm wind. It really melted a lot of snow. I'm sure the mountains took a hit too.
Lanik wrote:Never used either of them so to me I'm just happy its all come down to one format.
This is GREAT news for consumers. At least if they want to buy DVD high-def hardware, they'll finally know what to buy. We didn't need another long-running VHS/Betamax war. Poor Toshiba ... this is really going to hurt them financially.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

It was about 40-45F last couple of days but its cold enough during the morning/night that snow never melts. I'm happy with that good weather nice snow. Doesn't make much to make me happy now days.

One reason I held off buying any DVD hardware is I waited for the industry to choose one over the other.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

Last I read, Toshiba deny everything though :roll: .

But it indeed looks very much like BluRay has won. I'm very glad about this, it seems to be the only format (amongst the two) specifying data
storage capabilities as well, and I would be very happy to replace my DVD-RAMs with something as reliable but with much bigger capacity for
all my backups. Now all that's left to do is waiting for BluRay's DRM stuff to be broken for good so the movies can be watched without trouble
on all machines.

I'm very much looking forward to this now, I recieved my 24" WUXGA monitor last friday to replace the nine-year-old 19" tube :-).
What a beauty... 8)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

chewey wrote:Last I read, Toshiba deny everything though :roll: .
Not for long:
http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9584_22-6231013.html
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

Woohoo! :wink:
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

The demise of HD-DVD seems to create a small problem for Microsoft's X-box though:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6231009.html
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I don't really care except for one thing, Blu ray cost more. The disk and the drives, so I'm not so sure this is great for consumers. Maybe in time the price will come way down but even PS3 games cost more because the disk cost more. Just what I've read and I've seen the price difference in stores so I believe it.
chewey
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by chewey »

I expect this to change significantly over a rather short time. Around here, movies on HD DVD and BD are already sold at the same
price, regardless of the medium. And as far as I understand, the PS3 sucked up a lot of the - still rather low - worldwide production
capacity for BD drives. This will improve too.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Hope your right chewey. That is my only real concern as far as for consumers go. I never had a stance on which one I liked over the other. I knew only one thing I was waiting till there was a VERY clear winner. Our family lucked out with the VHS vs Betamax thing years ago, but it taught me a lesson anyway.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

I'm glad that the high-def DVD format wars are over, but I'm not so thrilled about Blu-ray winning the fight. Sony isn't exactly known for their consumer-friendly attitude. I expect to see a lot more copy-protection b.s. on the video discs. And let's not forgot all the patents and royalties on Blu-ray, which we will pay for one way or another:

Blu-ray victory means royalties, royalties, royalties
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9874317-7.html

:o
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

U.S. trade body to probe Sony on Blu-ray
March 21, 2008

The U.S. International Trade Commission will launch an investigation into Sony and about 30 other companies on possible patent infringements related to Blu-ray disc players and other products. The commission said Thursday on its Web site that the products involved are short-wavelength light-emitting diodes and laser diodes used in such electronics as handheld mobile devices, traffic lights, and high-definition DVD players.

The move is based on a complaint filed in February by Gertrude Neumark Rothschild, a Columbia University professor emeritus who is seeking to block imports into the United States of a range of products that she said were infringing her patent. Besides Sony, companies cited in the commission's announcement include Nokia, Motorola, LG Electronics, and Panasonic maker Matsushita Electric.

Last month, the Sony-backed Blu-ray format won the battle over which standard would rule the high-definition video world when Toshiba threw in the towel and ditched HD DVD.

A Sony representative said the company wouldn't comment on an ongoing investigation.

http://www.news.com/U.S.-trade-body-to- ... 35128.html