my.ecwid.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
smith3v

my.ecwid.com

Post by smith3v »

Adblock started blocking some parts of Ecwid Control Panel on 11/26/2011. The issue appears in Safari on Mac (possibly a Webkit bug) and is caused by the following rule in the EasyList subscription:

Code: Select all

##div[style="background:#fbf0fa;margin:0 0 14px;min-height:0;padding-top:2px;padding-bottom:1px;padding-right:8px;padding-left:7px"]
Could you possibly remove this rule?

Thank you.
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

Lol? Now what are the chances that a site uses the exact same 117 character long style value string for an element as Google uses for its blue ad boxes: the exact same order, the exact same values, the exact same notation variants (color value, space style, box modell notation, ...)? I don't believe in miracles, so I will have to assume someone from ecwid (and Google in case it's some template) "borrowed" something here. :roll:

Fixed unless they also use the same page structure, please update EasyList and confirm.

https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/e9b7ee6f5741
smith3v

Post by smith3v »

Hello.

Sorry, I've registered on the forum, but my previous note has been placed as a guest one for some reason. So I'm posting the message once again.

I am an engineer of Ecwid. Ecwid is a platform, that provides an easy way to create a store for everyone. Recently we have found that the AdBlock with EasyList subscription started blocking some parts of Ecwid Control Panel on 11/26/2011.

Our investigation has revealed that the issue is caused by the following rule:

##div[style="background:#fbf0fa;margin:0 0 14px;min-height:0;padding-top:2px;padding-bottom:1px;padding-right:8px;padding-left:7px"]
At the moment each of our 100 000 customers, who use the AdBlock with EasyList, is unable to use Ecwid Control Panel and has to disable the AdBlock add-on.

We appreciate the quick issue resolving.
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

smith3v wrote:Sorry, I've registered on the forum, but my previous note has been placed as a guest one for some reason.
I've changed the poster above from Guest to you account.
smith3v wrote:We appreciate the quick issue resolving.
Please check my last post and confirm whether the change will fix the problem., it then takes around 7 days until every user gets the auto-update.
smith3v

Post by smith3v »

Thank you very much for the quick reaction.
Ares2 wrote:Lol? Now what are the chances that a site uses the exact same 117 character long style value string for an element as Google uses for its blue ad boxes: the exact same order, the exact same values, the exact same notation variants (color value, space style, box modell notation, ...)? I don't believe in miracles, so I will have to assume someone from ecwid (and Google in case it's some template) "borrowed" something here. :roll:
Ecwid uses the Google Web Toolkit (GWT) to build the interface, so we suppose they can intersect in some parts. It seems that such a rule may affect much more web applications besides Ecwid.
Ares2 wrote:Fixed unless they also use the same page structure, please update EasyList and confirm.
It seems the issue is resolved now.

We really appreciate your help.
Ecwid Tester

Post by Ecwid Tester »

Unfortunately, the recent update didn't help. I am investigating the problem on Ecwid side, and by the moment I found out, that any rule like
##<element>[style="<style>"] (where <element> and <style> can vary)
causes adblock to hide a dynamically loaded table or a portion of it.

So please, remove the rule at all:

I will continue digging into the problem meanwhile.

Thank you.
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

Ecwid Tester wrote:I am investigating the problem on Ecwid side, and by the moment I found out, that any rule like
##<element>[style="<style>"] (where <element> and <style> can vary)
causes adblock to hide a dynamically loaded table or a portion of it.
That really shouldn't happen (and I doubt it does with Adblock Plus at least until I'm told otherwise).

Can you please test what "Adblock" application and what browser is affected?

A minimal testcase page would be great as well so we can be sure we are talking about the same thing.
Ecwid Tester

Post by Ecwid Tester »

Ares2 wrote:Can you please test what "Adblock" application and what browser is affected?

A minimal testcase page would be great as well so we can be sure we are talking about the same thing.
We reproduce the problem in GC 15.0.874.106 (Linux), GC 15.0.874.121 m(Windows), Safari for Mac 5.1.1. In Chrome I tried both AdBlock and AdBlock Plus: the behavior is the same.

At the moment I debug adblock to figure out the source of the problem, but for now please either remove the rule

##div[style="..."] 
, or replace it with some rule without the [style= attribute-selector, or at least add the "~my.ecwid.com" prefix to it so that it did not affect Ecwid users.

I look forward to your reply.
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

Ecwid Tester wrote:or at least add the "~my.ecwid.com" prefix to it so that it did not affect Ecwid users.
Done: https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/363766a403c0

As mentioned however: It takes around 7 days until the users are updated.
Ecwid Tester wrote:We reproduce the problem in GC [...], Safari [...] In Chrome I tried both AdBlock and AdBlock Plus: the behavior is the same.
OK, that's at least something to start with. Again, a public test page that shows the problem would be a very good idea to investigate the issue and to file a proper bug report if it is indeed a Webkit issue. I can't promise that we won't use rules like that in the future especially if we don't even know what rules are actually affected and there are obviously other filter lists beside EasyList that might use such rules.
Ecwid Tester

Post by Ecwid Tester »

Ares2 wrote:Done: https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/363766a403c0
As mentioned however: It takes around 7 days until the users are updated.
Thank you.
Ares2 wrote:OK, that's at least something to start with. Again, a public test page that shows the problem would be a very good idea to investigate the issue and to file a proper bug report if it is indeed a Webkit issue. I can't promise that we won't use rules like that in the future especially if we don't even know what rules are actually affected and there are obviously other filter lists beside EasyList that might use such rules.
I'm working on unbinding the problem from our user interface to be able to reproduce it on a test page. By now I found out, that any rule with attribute-selector for attribute "style" causes the problem.
I.e. even if I completly disable adblock, but put the code

<style>
span[style="color:red"] {
color: green;
}
</style>
into our page, the problem still appears in WebKit browsers (this is how the adblock compiles the ##div[style=...]-filters into CSS).
Famlam
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Famlam »

Hi, sorry I didn't notice this earlier.
In AdBlockforChrome, we are also struggling with this. This indeed is an issue in both Chrome and Safari, however, both behave different.
Other sites having this issue are for example apollohq.com (Chrome only) and gocomics.com (Safari only).
The style rules don't match anything on the page. For example, for apollohq even the rule ##qwertyuiopasdfghjkl[style] matches (as long as it contains [style it fails).
It seems the style bug in webKit browsers isn't fixed, although I lately thought it was...
I'm going to file (another) report at Chrome and one at WebKit itself (for some reason I can't access the Safari bug tracker)...