Weather page on www.wral.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Weather page on www.wral.com

Post by The Masked Marauder »

This filter

Code: Select all

-120x90.
removes the thumbnail graphics for radar, hurricane tracker, maps & forecasts, etc. from http://www.wral.com/weather/

When I checked EasyList for this filter, I found a lot of filters that are based solely on an element's dimensions. Is that a good idea?
Khrin
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by Khrin »

Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Removed (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/234b6a420ed4)

Code: Select all

-120x90.
Filters based on dimensions are present in almost every filter subscription, and block items that are of a size used exclusively by adverts.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

Michael wrote:Filters based on dimensions are present in almost every filter subscription, and block items that are of a size used exclusively by adverts.
Correction: "of a size commonly used by adverts." There is nothing that prevents any web site from displaying non-ads that just happen to be the size specified in one of the filters (like the site that I found). That is why I question the wisdom of using filters that specify nothing but the dimension of an element.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

"Exclusively" is the correct term, as once dimension filters are found to have wider usage they are removed from the subscription. It is also important to note that there is also nothing to stop websites labelling items as adverts when they are actually the primary content of the website; far more false positives result from this action than from the presence of rules based on dimensions.
Hubird
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird »

If it was "exclusively" there would have been no need for this topic in the first place, even the best generic rule would almost certainly cause a false positive somewhere (weather it be intentional or accidental).