marketo.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
jparr

marketo.com

Post by jparr »

Hello, we use Marketo forms across our website for lead capture. We run these in addition to the marketo munchkin trackers. It looks like the easyprivacy list was recently updated to exclude all marketo.com/marketo.net domains, which means that if you visit our registration pages with a blocker that subscribes to the easyprivacy list, you don't see the registration form. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

https://www.snowflake.com/resource/2019-gartner-data-management-solutions-for-analytics-magic-quadrant/
With the blocker on, you don't see anything to the right of the content, but with it off, you see the form on the right as expected.

There are trackers that run from Marketo's domains, specifically the munchkin.marketo.com / munchkin.marketo.net subdomains. I agree that these should be on the list as with those running we're able to cookie and track who visits our website, and if a user is privacy-conscious enough to subscribe to this list, that's disrespecting their wishes. However, blocking all Marketo domains breaks functionality across a swath of websites, including ours. If someone visits the above page on our website, they would likely want to download the report we're promoting, but be unable to do so because of the form not appearing.

I would like to propose updating the easyprivacy list to whitelist *.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js. Ourselves and other marketo customers load forms from that location, so if that's whitelisted, we can at least ensure site functionality, regardless of whether or not we are able to track users.

Thank you for your consideration.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

@@||marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js$script,domain=snowflake.com
This would be the rule that will fix things until EasyLIst authors have a chance to fix it.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
jparr

Post by jparr »

Hi Lanik, thank you for the reply. I've been playing around with this on my local uBo plugin, and have found that this filter is not working, because the form embed code (example below) calls both that forms2 js, as well as another call to our marketo subscription to get the actual form we want to load on the page.

<script src="//app-ab06.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js"></script>
<form id="mktoForm_4419"></form>
<script>MktoForms2.loadForm("//app-ab06.marketo.com", "252-RFO-227", 4419);</script>
The marketo web tracker is always served from munchkin.marketo.com. The forms will always be served from a marketo customer's subdomain, which is formatted as app-XXXX.marketo.com. I think a good way to update the easyprivacy list is to add the below whitelist, while blocking munchkin.marketo.com to prevent the actual web tracker from running. That way we ensure a user's privacy when browsing the website while giving them an opportunity to enter their information into a form if they so wish.

@@||app-****marketo.com^$script
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

jparr wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm

@@||app-****marketo.com^$script
Wild card filters are notoriously slow, otherwise if it works for you. :mrgreen:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Do these filters work for you ?

@@||marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js$script,domain=snowflake.com
@@||marketo.com/index.php/form/$script,domain=snowflake.com
added to uBo unbreak list
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets ... c36ebad6b1
jparr

Post by jparr »

Yes, this is perfect. With these added, the forms load fine, but the trackers don't, which I think is exactly the behavior users would expect.

There are likely other marketo customers impacted by this, so it might be worthwhile to remove the domain filter. Either way, this definitely fixes the problem on snowflake.com.

Thanks!
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

if you know other pages / sites impacted by the same issue just report them here
garym

Post by garym »

Example link:

https://www.conjur.org/get-started/try-conjur.html
Screenshot https://i.imgur.com/An43Lci.png

Browser: Firefox 66.0
Adblocker name: uBlock Origin v1.18.4
Subscriptions: default
Other extensions: none (for testing purposes)

We use marketo to provide the form allowing users to try our software. We would like to request whitelisting of our website such that people can use the form without disabling their ad blocker please.

Thank you.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Does this work for you ?

@@||marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js$script,domain=gitlab.com|snowflake.com|conjur.org
@@||marketo.com/index.php/form/$script,domain=gitlab.com|snowflake.com|conjur.org
garym

Post by garym »

Hi Intense,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, those whitelist rules work, thanks. Are we able to request that conjur.org be whitelisted from that marketo filter in the list as distributed to everyone?

Cheers.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

I added those filters to unbreak list in uBo
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets ... af6d2ddd08

for other adblokers easyprivacy should be modified ... but this is up to easylist authors
garym

Post by garym »

Thanks very much Intense, that's really great of you 🎉

I'll keep an eye out for a response from an EasyList author 👍
garym

Post by garym »

It seems this filter is avoidable by swapping out the marketo.com domain with an alias of your own, which has now corrected this worldwide for us. Does anyone know if it's likely that this approach might be targeted in a future list update, or if we should consider this resolved now please?