Items in Local Files Blocked

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Items in Local Files Blocked

Post by PjBlocksAds »

I have this problem of certain items not showing up via 'iFrame' in a local file. I created an Exception for my local files in a certain directory, but some items are not loading into view.

Finally, I tried turning off some Filter Lists. By Disabling 'EasyList', I can now view my local and 'iFrame' and 'Object' and 'Embed' items that were blocked. Something in 'EasyList' is blocking some items, but not all items. While some 'iFrame' items were blocked, other similar ones were not.

-Pj
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

For testing reasons you should upload an example of such file (on some server).
adblocker ? browser ?
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

Hi Intense,

Upload to a server? The problem begins by viewing locally written 'HTML' on disk, so it's a 'File:///C:/' view 'problem'. Uploading to a server puts it to a 'Web' view (HTTP:// or HTTPS://), and I'd be able to 'Disable' ABP and wouldn't have reported the problem to begin with. (Wink)

Update: What timing. I just updated to newer version of AdBlock Plus (3.1) and did a Right-Click to 'Inspect Element' (FireFox 60.xx) and clicked on several 'Exceptions' Buttons and now my certain blocked items via my local file are now seen! (The 'Exceptions' Buttons were not there with the previous ABP version I was using, just hours ago.)

I think the problem is that ABP is 'On' when I'm viewing local files from my hard drive and there's no way to 'Disable' it. With Websites, yes, but not when I'm viewing local files. If I was able to 'Disable' it, the 'error' in the blocking wouldn't have to be dealt with in the first place.

The newer ABP version 'fixed' it, sort of I suppose. If I didn't do that 'Inspect Element' thing, it's still 'broken' unless I 'Disable' EasyList.

Note: While composing this message, any Smiley I click on jumps the page to 'top'. When I hover over any Smiley, the URL at bottom-left is identical: posting.php?mode=reply&f=64&t=41158

BBcode and Smilies are 'ON' but they're not working for me.

- Pj
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

How can we test your issue if you don't upload your page on a server (and then we can download it and test it locally) ?
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

PjBlocksAds wrote:Upload to a server?
intense mean zip your test pages then upload the zip file to a file sharing site.

e.g.
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

Ah, I see. I'll put something together and Upload it to one of the links you (smed79) provided or Google's 'Drive'?

- Pj
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

Ok, it's ready for Downloading:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lnxiyR ... 4Ex3F/view

- Pj
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

test this filter

Code: Select all

@@||forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

Duh! (V-8 Forehead Slap) Why didn't I think to add an exception to the 'site' (Weather.Gov) in the first place. See, sometimes I think slowly and at other times, slowly to think. ;)

I didn't need to add all what you showed, just this:

@@||weather.gov
...and it works. Still, why is EasyList blocking some products, like the Zone, and not others (Point) on Weather.Gov?

Anyway, thanks for your help. I turned EasyList back on. All is good for now. I just got to remember to allow site or page exceptions for the site/pages I 'embed' or 'iFrame' or 'Object' in my local files.

- Pj
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

PjBlocksAds wrote:I didn't need to add all what you showed
The filter suggest by intense is more specific and recommended to avoid whitelisting unwanted contents (for example trackers or ads hosted on first party server).
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

@@||weather.gov is very bad, just use the filter I posted above.
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

smed79 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm The filter suggest by intense is more specific and recommended to avoid whitelisting unwanted contents (for example trackers or ads hosted on first party server).
Oh, ok. But why is EasyList blocking it out to begin with? It's that a bug-a-boo that needs fixed?

- Pj
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

PjBlocksAds wrote:why is EasyList blocking it out to begin with?
The url "https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=WVZ031&FcstType=text&TextType=1" is blocked by the generic easylist filter .php?zoneid= (the URL with this parameter is used by publisher to serve ads).
PjBlocksAds wrote:It's that a bug-a-boo that needs fixed?
Will be considered as false positive if you provide a "real online example site" which embed the above url.
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

Hmm. I say it is a false positive. A little too generic. But, ok... I guess Local Files don't count, but I suppose it's possible, there's a site out there 'embedding' a forecast link like that, since it's coming from Weather.Gov, a popular-enough site.

I just wish I'd figured on checking the Filter lists sooner, and not having to try to figure out what was wrong for about the last 3 weeks. (SIgh)

Anyway, thank you all for the help. I got more hand-crafting for local pages to do. :)

- Pj
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

You could also add a exception domain filter of your own instead of doing a site wide whitelisting, like this -

.php?zoneid=$domain=~weather.gov
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

I tried your filter and it didn't work. :o

- Pj
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

How does one get to this page (steps too)

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=WVZ031&FcstType=text&TextType=1
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

At the bottom of the above page, there's a link to get back to Charleston, WV (RLX) Home Page:

https://www.weather.gov/rlx/

Now, click on the city of Clarksburg (North-Central WV) or anywhere inside Harrison County. This is the "Point" Forecast. You can zoom-in on the Map on the right-side to fine-tune what city or neighborhood you want to click on. Otherwise, you can skip fine-tuning a city or neighborhood, as long as you clicked anywhere in Harrison County, and then click on:

Zone Area Forecast for Harrison County, WV (Located right below the Header: "Additional Forecasts and Information".)

Then, click on the link that says "Text Only Forecast". And there you have it: Harrison County Zone Forecast in a 'Web-based Text' form.

The "Point Forecast" also has the "Text Only Forecast" link as do many other weather products with a "Text Only" link option.

Years ago, I had 'pure-ASCII' weather product links, but over the years these links have become dead as the NWS products are now all-but 100% Web-Page based.

- Pj
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I followed the directions, doesnt really stop you from clicking on it, also the page renders fine. I tested in both UbO and ABP.

tl;dr,

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=WVZ028&FcstType=text&TextType=1
Clicked fine, and the page that opened,

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=WVZ028&FcstType=text&TextType=1
also looked fine.
PjBlocksAds
Site Member
Site Member

Post by PjBlocksAds »

fanboy wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:47 amI followed the directions, doesn't really stop you from clicking on it, also the page renders fine. I tested in both UbO and ABP.
You're missing the whole point: EasyList was stopping the Zone Forecast product within my Local Page(s), not outside or on the Weather.Gov site.

So, I either have to turn ABP Off on my Local Page (which I can't - no option to do such) or Turn Off EasyList or use the provided filter in ABP, which I'm now doing.

-Pj