facebook.com

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
ajnspencer

facebook.com

Post by ajnspencer »

Hi,

Lord knows removing stuff from Facebook is usually a pleasure, but I've noticed recently that EasyList is removing all page posts from my News Feed and Pages feed. This isn't ads or "page stories you may like" and that kind of nuisance but all content from pages I've asked to see.

The feed loads normally but then you can see them being plucked away by the Display:None Fairy with nary a 50p left in it's place. It's anything that not a friend status, links, videos, images, all are hidden.

It's definitely the EasyList filter doing it as I've tested switching bits of Adblock Plus off and on, and the only time it happens is when EasyList is active, either on it's own or with others. I've tried searching for differences in the individual feed stories to see if I can spot a common thread that would block A but leave B, but couldn't find anything myself.

I've got no personal filters yet (new PC) and both Adblock Plus and the filter are fully updated and the newest versions, on fully updated Chrome. Any ideas would be gratefully received as I'd rather not stop using EasyList and definitely don't want to whitelist Facebook...

Thanks!
xegara

Post by xegara »

Same issue here for a few weeks now using uBlock Origin. I can see articles loading in the feed, and they instantly get removed, causing loading of articles until they are all hidden.

I'm actually surprised that this has not been fixed yet, considering the amount of people using Facebook daily. This made me think that it might be a conflicting issue with another addon or another filter, though my troubleshooting in that regard has been unsuccessful.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Provide some info: uBo version, browser version, all the filter lists enabled in uBo (or other adblocker).
rhanajoy
AdBlock Community Manager

Post by rhanajoy »

We've been getting similar reports for a few weeks now. I kept thinking someone would report it. Our users tell us that it's not just posts in their news feed that are disappearing. They're using Chrome, but since other posters here are reporting the same issues with ABP and uBO, and one of our users is seeing the same thing in Vivaldi, this doesn't appear to be a browser- or ad blocker-specific issue. Our developer thinks there may be a problem with one or more hiding filters in EasyList.

Here are three reports:
Facebook has implemented a tagging method on their comment boxes. This applies to posts from news sources. You will see a line of @name with the comment box. With Adblock enabled, when you click in the comment box the entire post disappears in no more than 2 seconds. With Adblock disabled, the posts do not disappear. I have spent approximately 3 days debugging this action by disabling one by one any and all extensions and finally zeroed in on Adblock being the problem.
1.Open Facebook News feed
2.Open comments of a post or a video
3.The post is hidden
few weeks ago Facebook started to act very weird and I've found AdBlock is causing these issues.

What is happening:
1) some posts disappear while scrolling through News Feed, it seems its mostly random, I can see them for a second or so, then they are gone
2) if I try to see comments below post displayed on News Feed, that post disappears immediatly everytime
3) same happens when I try to like or react to the post - it disappears after clicking like button
4) all of these happen only on News Feed, if I open some FB page (e.g. 9GAG) and find very same post everything is okay
5) if I turn AdBlock off and then refresh there are no issues, when I turn AdBlock on and refresh again issues come back (observed for longer time).

This might be a hint - first time I noticed issues about time when Facebook shuted down Explore Feed, which they were testing in few countries. I thought problems with post are just some minor issue until they fully revert from Explore Feed back to News Feed, but it is actually AdBlock thing. Maybe they implemented some code that is preventing AdBlock to work properly. I tried on Chrome and Vivaldi browser - happens on both.
Rhana

Posting on behalf of AdBlock (not ABP), when users come to us first and we have some reason to get involved with the discussion. http://help.getadblock.com
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

[mention]rhanajoy[/mention] You should ask your users to watch the logger and report what hiding filters are triggered.

I cannot reproduce the issue in uBo/ ABP.

The sponsored articles could quickly flash and then disappear but this is expected.
rhanajoy

Post by rhanajoy »

Yup, that should happen for sponsored and suggested posts, but not for comments and normal posts. I'll ask our more technically-minded users to try that and report what they see. If they get back to me, I'll post their results here. Thanks!
Rhana

Posting on behalf of AdBlock (not ABP), when users come to us first and we have some reason to get involved with the discussion. http://help.getadblock.com
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Who has the issue in this thread could test these filters

Code: Select all

facebook.com#@?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(input[data-next-question-id])
facebook.com#@?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(a[href="#"]:-abp-contains(Char))
facebook.com#@?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(a[href="#"]:-abp-contains(Sp))
facebook.com#@?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(a[href="#"]:-abp-contains(Spon))
xegara

Post by xegara »

That works as a temporary workaround.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

added in uBo, waiting for easylist authors
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets ... 82ce7954f4
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
stobber

Post by stobber »

static filter rule

||facebook.com/xti.php?
blocks Facebook's news feed.
 ! Message from: Lanik
Merged rules#forumsearch
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

No issues on FB for me.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Not aware of any issues with fb atm?
amoisidis

Post by amoisidis »

Hi you guys,

Awesome tool. It’s wonderful. Unfortunately, it does not solve the problem completely. Zuckerberg and his gang of [censored] cannot block the account anymore, now they disable the account. Is there anyway to block this action of inactivation of account?

Many thanks
Tony
Merged rules#forumsearch
 ! Message from: smed79
Be respectful rules#attack
Reporter

Post by Reporter »

Go to any Facebook group.
Comment any post by uploading a gif image or some image.
The image appears to be uploaded successfully, but will fail when you press enter.

Note: Your account have to be on the new comment interface. The comment is in a grey speech bubble.
Merged rules#forumsearch
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Open your adblocker's logger and see what filters are triggered while uploading the gif file
rhanajoy

Post by rhanajoy »

This is still happening. @intense, one of our users found that the following filters are triggered on Facebook’s wall:

facebook.com#?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(a[href*="is_sponsored"])
facebook.com#?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(div[id^="feed_subtitle_"] > span > a[class*="_"][href="#"] > div)
Adding those filters to the disabled filters solves the problem.
Rhana

smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

rhanajoy wrote:Adding those filters to the disabled filters solves the problem.
Why don't you disable them in your list https://cdn.adblockcdn.com/filters/adblock_custom.txt ?
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

@rhanajoy if you are talking about the uploading issue, no problem here: tested in ABP / uBo / chrome.
rhanajoy

Post by rhanajoy »

@smed79 We could, but then the sponsored posts aren't blocked. Catch-22.

@intense This issue: viewtopic.php?p=134216#p134216
Rhana

intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Well, I cannot reproduce the issue.

However, if a user can reproduce it, he should save the page (folder + html), zip them, upload on some server and post here the link (or send it to you ...and you post here)
rhanajoy

Post by rhanajoy »

I'll ask him to do that. Thanks!
Rhana

Reporter

Post by Reporter »

The sponsored ads and the ads in the sidebar appear again. I tried the above filters but are not working.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

@Reporter

- what adblocker are you using ?
- try these filters

facebook.com#?#[id^=hyperfeed_story_id_]:-abp-has(a[href*="client_token"])
facebook.com#?#[id^=hyperfeed_story_id_]:-abp-has(a[href*="utm_campaign"])
facebook.com#?##substream_1:-abp-has([id^="feed_subtitle_"]:-abp-contains(Sp))
- if still does not work see the instructions
viewtopic.php?p=139811#p139811
Reporter

Post by Reporter »

For some weird reasons, the filters don't get any hit but the sponsored ads and the ads in the sidebar are suddenly gone.
I use Easylist and EasyPrivacy.
I'm using non-English language interface in Facebook.
I'll see if the problem re-appears.
Zambfd

Post by Zambfd »

facebook.com#?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(a[href*="utm_campaign"])
Das sorgt dafür, dass auch normale Beiträge im User-Stream verschwinden. Mit dem Tag möchte man als Seitenbetreiber nur gern nachvollziehen, welche Social-Media-Portale für den eigenen Content funktionieren. Da steckt keine Werbung drin.
ebxpm

Post by ebxpm »

facebook.com#?#div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:-abp-has(a[href*="utm_campaign"])
This addition seems to be blocking all normal, non-ad posts from publishers like the Telegraph and the Independent. They use the utm_campaign as a way to track performance over different fb-pages, etc. Has nothing to do with adds so I'm not sure why it's being blocked.
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »