Yavli filters issues

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

bulletsf wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:50 am The simple answer is to put up a message to ad blocking users pointing them in the direction of this forum so you can explain to them why the site is broken, will be a bandwidth issue for you guys then!
Please do that's going to totally put us out business and cause us to go bankrupt. :roll:

You do realize that all I have to do is point them to this thread and show them how much you care about your users right? :mrgreen:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
bulletsf

Post by bulletsf »

My previous messages seem to have been skipped over, Yavli utilizing whitelists is simply not the case, I will set out the timeline in bullet points to clearly illustrate this fact:

1. There are no blocks against our site.
2. We install Yavli to display advertising first party on our image domain.
3. You place blocks against our site including a whitelist to try and block said ads, but are unsuccessful.
4. You remove said whitelist which removes the ads and breaks all of our images.

As you can see from this flow Yavli never exploited the whitelist, you simply created the whitelist exploit and are then blaming it on Yavli. To put it simply you cannot block the ads without breaking the site. I hope this clears that debate up.

On a side note I have been PM’d by a reporter following this thread who is looking to write an article about how ad blockers are turning into a net nanny who decide which sites its users can and cant access. I will be sure to get this point across on how sites are being deliberately broken if you cant block the ads to create this dynamic.

One last question, why have you not taken the same action against Facebook? They are pushing ads through and you cant block them unless you also block content, so why don’t you do this?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

You forgot a bullet point where you or Yavli exploited the white lists. I'm sure you're just a stand up person and everyone should just take you at your word. :roll:

If we're all just making stuff up here then I'm already in process of writing op-ed article for CNN about how Yavli is nothing but a cancer of the Internet.

And what makes you think we've taken no action against Facebook?

Obviously ignorance is bliss.
loualind

Post by loualind »

i am having issues with my ad blocker and clashdaily.com.
the images are blocked. my ad lbocker is up to time.

lou
 ! Message from: Lanik
Merged your thread forumsearch
bulletsf

Post by bulletsf »

Lanik wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:09 pm And what makes you think we've taken no action against Facebook?
The fact that Facebook operates perfectly with an ad blocker and their ads are showing!

Seems rather hypocritical to me.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Again it doesn't mean no action was taken. Obviously you haven't searched the forums or you wouldn't be saying that.

Unlike you or Yavli they don't employ deceptive practices to continuesly show ads. You're comparing Satan with a Saint (by most part).

So far the only thing you've managed to accomplish is to make this forum a lot more popular then it should be. :mrgreen:
bulletsf

Post by bulletsf »

Could you please explain to me difference between Yavli and Facebook pushing through ads?

Every time i go on Facebook with an ad blocker i see ads. Talk about double standards.
CVadmin

Post by CVadmin »

Morning,

Been notified about this forum by a publisher friend so thought I would chuck in my 2 cents.

It appears Yavlis tech is to good and you can only block it by breaking sites. As people have said above we as publishers don’t care to much for ad blocking users as they are killing our income. So if you have to break our site for your users in order to stop ads then so be it, all you are doing it giving the ad blockers a bad name and forcing users to uninstall them in order to consume our content. So yeah keep up the great work- the start of the end!

P.S. you guest post feature has broken, or perhaps this is deliberate to stop the amounts of broken site posts.

Cheers
Admin
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I gave you the reasons already I'm not going to repeat myself if you're not reading.

Sounds like your Ad Blocker had issues as I haven't seen an ad on Facebook for many years.

We're not the only list that targets Facebook they're others that employ a more direct method. I don't see you complaining about them.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

The FB ads can be blocked using uBo or a dedicated userscript. Search the forum.
Adblock Plus will be able to block the FB ads with the next implementations.

Also, yavli crap can be blocked using uBo (without breaking any site) and (as for FB) ABP in the next future (without breaking the pages)

The users of your site can whitelist your site or ... use uBo, or use some userscript etc
bulletsf

Post by bulletsf »

Thanks for the details Intense.

But what doesn’t make sense to me is that you could block Facebook ads now by breaking the site. You have done the same to Yavli so why not do the same with Facebook?

You also say you are waiting for updated features in the plugins to allow clean blocks, so why not wait for same updates to block Yavli without breaking sites and causing your users a lot less issues?
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Well, for me yavli strategy is too aggressive. Every 2-3 days yavli is changing its modality to push such ads.
Easylist authors have to change the filters very often (remember: they are volunteers), so, it happens the downside is blocking / hiding legitimate content on pages.
More, the ads yavli put on pages are very intrusive, FB are using "normal" ones.

Alternative could be give up yavli crap and adopt some non intrusive ads, like the acceptable ads.
heyhey

Post by heyhey »

The site is broken for ABP, the images wont load.

keepandbear.com

Thank you.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

bulletsf wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:03 pm But what doesn’t make sense to me is that you could block Facebook ads now by breaking the site. You have done the same to Yavli so why not do the same with Facebook?
I know it makes no sense to you since you have a vested interest in making sure Yavli ads keep rolling through. Me I don't care one way or the other I just think the whole situation is hilarious. :mrgreen:
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

heyhey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:28 pm The site is broken for ABP, the images wont load.

keepandbear.com

Thank you.
what's the problem ? You are using an adblocker, just add an exception filter:

Code: Select all

@@||netdna-cdn.com^$image,domain=keepandbear.com
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

loualind wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:09 pm i am having issues with my ad blocker and clashdaily.com.
the images are blocked. my ad lbocker is up to time.

lou
same for you: just learn creating / adding custom filters:

@@||netdna-cdn.com^$image,domain=clashdaily.com
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Stop spamming the topic repeating the same questions, complains. Just see above how to create a simple filter for the site you are visiting.
loualind

Post by loualind »

Intense.

Firstly I have no idea how to write a filter. I am new to this forum and made a new post as per your rules, how on earth did I know it was meant to go under this thread?

Secondly I have no idea how to apply the filter or what even a filter is? Please explain.

Lou.
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

how to add custom filters in ABP:
https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42013

in ubo, options, "my filters", add the filter above

However, if you read the rules:
rules#faq
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

loualind wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:00 pm ... how on earth did I know it was meant to go under this thread?
If you read this rule you would know: rules#forumsearch
loualind

Post by loualind »

Thanks for the help but you guys are real jobsworths with your little rules that no one reads.

Lou.
Ivanos4

Post by Ivanos4 »

99% of pictures are missing on website

http://constitution.com
please fix it for me

Ivanos
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

see above, replace the domain in the rule provided for the other sites
Ivanos4

Post by Ivanos4 »

@@||constitution.com.com^$image,domain=clashdaily.com 
does not work.

Ivanos
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

:shock:

@@||netdna-cdn.com^$image,domain=constitution.com
bamgud1988

Post by bamgud1988 »

comicallyincorrect.com

The site is missing the comic pics.

I have updated my ad blocker and browser plus restarted my laptop and still didn't help.

Cheers
 ! Message from: smed79
Merged your topic forumsearch
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

@@||netdna-cdn.com^$image,domain=comicallyincorrect.com
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

add

@@||netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/$image
or

@@||netdna-cdn.com^$image,domain=comicallyincorrect.com
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
blade1999

Post by blade1999 »

my ad blocker is working properly on other sites but on bulletsfirst.net the pics are not showing... I have updated the list but still broken...

can you fix please.

thanks
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

add

@@||netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/$image,domain=bulletsfirst.net