Pheedo

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
jrossiter_pheedo

Pheedo

Post by jrossiter_pheedo »

The ".pheedo." block is too generic, and is impacting some non-ABP ad blockers (Notably in Safari) which are not smart enough to allow user-initiated clicks to occur. This is causing some users who click on content URLs to be shown error messages or white screens.

In the interests of our content users, the correct rule would be ".pheedo.(com|jp)/(ad.php|img.phdo)" to block advertising, and not general content delivery.
eighty5cacao
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eighty5cacao »

Bumping to remind the more experienced users to take a look at this.

A note to the original poster: rick752 really prefers not to use regular expressions since they are slower than standard filters, but I can see how that rule could be handled as one or more standard filter rules.
Could you clarify what you mean by "allow user-initiated clicks to occur"?
Could you give an example of a site which contains legitimate content served by Pheedo?
Currently not very active on this forum
jrossiter_pheedo

A user-initiated click would be something that the user clicked on in-browser, not an in-page reference (img/script/etc.). Mozilla, and from what I've seen IE, adblockers are smart enough to understand that if a user intentionally initiates a content request (via titlebar, or clicking on a link in-page) that the request should not be blocked. Safari AdBlock (to name one) will block any content containing a matched URL, even if the user is intentionally trying to view it.

http://feeds.macnn.com/macnn/rss/main
http://feeds.pcworld.com/pcworld/latestnews
http://rss.macworld.com/macworld/feeds/main

The item-content links in every single one of those (plus tens of thousands of others) are routed through Pheedo. Users of Safari Adblock were/are greeted by a white page or error screen when clicking on an item's headline link because Pheedo is being too aggressively blocked. (By both the pattern in EasyList, and by the extension being too unforgiving.)

We've addressed this issue for our premium customers by setting up a domain to be used for content-clicks only, not advertising, and we will be addressing this for other customers in the same way, however RSS is permanent once it has been issued, so all of our pre-existing URLs stored in aggregators like Google Reader will continue to exhibit this issue due to the blocklist entry.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I'm sorry but I cannot be responsible for "non-Adblock Plus" programs that use the EasyList. The EasyList is made specificly for Adblock Plus .... and is not supported by any other program that uses it. That is an issue that you will have to take up with the Safari adblocking team. The EasyList clearly states that it is only for use in ABP ... and that using it could have undesirable results if used with other programs.

Please understand that I cannot be responsible for another program that I do not support. If an unsupported adblocker wants to use my list ... then THEY have to be responsible for how it works in it.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
jrossiter_pheedo

I understand that you're not responsible for their action, but the rule that you're using is too broad even if you ignore the non-ABP blockers. You're blocking more than just advertising and it impacts users. Simply by modifying that rule you alleviate the issue entirely.

Why do you have resistance to simply modifying the rule?
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I'm not resisting ... I'm trying to rewrite it as to not still have a problem.
Many code options that work in Adblock Plus do NOT work in other ad blockers. Why I should need to bother supporting other programs that are too lazy to simply create their OWN rules to work in their own programs is beyond me. But I'll try:

From what I understand, it is the links that are the problem on other adblockers?
Does this rule mod fix it?

Code: Select all

.pheedo.com/img.phdo?
jrossiter_pheedo

Thank you - I clearly misunderstood your response.

Full blocking (for the US site) would be two rules, which is why I used the regex in the first example.
.pheedo.com/img.phdo? (RSS ads)
.pheedo.com/ad.php? (website ads)
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

OK .. there we go.
Everything should be 'fair' now. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor