YouTube black box when playing video from the middle on account with personalized ads off

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
homie

YouTube black box when playing video from the middle on account with personalized ads off

Post by homie »

I have previously posted about this problem on the AdBlock support forums and I was forwarded here.
I have a quite peculiar problem. I'm logged into my Google account when watching YouTube. I have personalized ads disabled on my account (https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated). When I pause a YouTube video somewhere in the middle and close the tab YouTube saves where I left off the video to replay it from this point next time I visit the same video. The problem is that when visiting this video again with AdBlock turned on the video doesn't play back. I get only a black box where the video should be and static image of the controls (play button, video progress bar) that are not interactive. It is 100% repeatable. Every time I refresh the page I get the same black box (with video supposedly being rewound few seconds back, but that's not relevant). The moment I enabled personalized ads, the problem with black box disappeared. I have re-disabled personalized ads but Google claims that disabling it is not instant and may take unspecified amount of time (although enabling it was instant!). So for now I don't have the black box problem but I'm sure this will be back when the personalized ads are finally disabled.

I would also like to add that while debugging this problem I found out that whitelisting phrase "pagead/ads" (which originates from domain "googleads.g.doubleclick.net"; using whitelist filter @@pagead/ads) seems to solve the problem too (I tested it while still having personalized ads disabled) but it's just crude way of debugging rather than solving the issue properly since tracking requests are being sent to googleads.g.doubleclick.net either way even though the ads don't show. Also this rule seems to originate from EasyList.

Are you guys able to address this issue properly? Although now I learned some crude hacks how to fix it on my end when the problem comes back, these are still just dirty hacks and also this could affect other users. Thanks!
Could you please take care of this issue? Thanks!
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Could you reproduce in Firefox using ABP? Send through a Issue report link here.
homie

Post by homie »

I'm trying to reproduce this problem again very hard but it works as intended. It might be because it takes so much time for Google to disable personalized ads again or there are some other circumstances that are not met this time for this bug to occur. I have no idea. I guess you can consider this issue are resolved. I will contact you again if this happens again and also under Firefox with more debug information as you asked.