Font-Awesome is not spam

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
atarikid

Font-Awesome is not spam

Post by atarikid »

Hello!

Font-awesome is a great little app that lets you use text/vector images for icons, instead of forcing users to load images for everything. This is literally all it does, icons. They have icons for everything, they're great and easy to use. It's a wonderful tool for web designers. The only problem is you're blocking the social media icons.

These entries:

Code: Select all

##.fa-facebook
##.fa-facebook-square
##.fa-fb
##.fa-flickr
##.fa-google
##.fa-google-plus
##.fa-google-plus-square
##.fa-instagram
##.fa-linkedin
##.fa-linkedin-square
##.fa-pinterest
##.fa-pinterest-square
##.fa-reddit
##.fa-reddit-square
##.fa-share-alt
##.fa-share-square-o
##.fa-soundcloud
##.fa-tumblr
##.fa-tumblr-square
##.fa-twit
##.fa-twitter
##.fa-twitter-square
##.fa-vine
##.fa-youtube
##.fa-youtube-play
##.fa-youtube-square
Are all icons. You can see all the icons (and how to use them) on their site here: https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

This is a great, free, open-source, tool. Please stop blocking them, as they are not spam, and force us to go and edit the CSS files and HTML to change the names so they load. For the lesser-skilled designers, it means their icons just don't load. Please remove these from your list.
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

And these fontawesome elements are commonly used for displaying social content. I have no issues with fontawsome directly, its the way its implemented on 3rd party sites.

See previous discussion: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17545
My1

Post by My1 »

but when is just an

Code: Select all

<a>
or similar then it should not be blocked.
Eppfel

Post by Eppfel »

I have to ask, what is the purpose of this list?
I found the description "solely removes Social Media content on web pages such as the Facebook like button and other widgets.", but that does not state a reason.
I for myself use the Ghostery extension to hinder tracking pixels/widgets. But this behaviour seems more like "clear the web off social media completely". In general graphics are hosted at the social media site, but with font-awesome there is no request to the actual site, hence, no tracking. So, no reason for blocking at all.

In the linked discussion the arguments are:
  • these icons are often used for social media content and
  • site-specific rules would bloat the list.

I argue this is just laziness. Instead of figuring out efficient selectors, the list just blocks font-awesome icons, because it is convenient.
For users of font-awesome – like myself – and users of sites using font-awesome it is inconvenient.
In a list of 12k selectors a 150 (5 x 26) more won't hurt.
If someone can pinpoint me to those "3rd party" widgets, I will gladly help creating some selectors.