FILMON "App for android" affected by Easylist

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye »

I use Filmon.com both the website and the actual filmon.com App for Android.

On our family mobile phones (all Android, various versions) whenever I use the FILMON APP the adbolock/easylist prevents it from working correctly: that is, it will load and play the FIRST channel you select ok, however, if I 'back' to change channel to watch a second channel, it then freezes on 'channel load' and the channel will never start playing. However, if adblock is DISABLED, and the same test is performed, then the Filmon app works at it should (freedom to choose and change channels).

Note: Adblock/easylist is NOT a problem when I use Adblock on the WEBSITE version of Filmon.com from the same Android device (nor from the the website version, on a standard Desktop PC browser running normal Adblock+Easylist). It is only interfering with the Filmon APP.

As it is with Adblock for Android (and not via a webpage) I am unable to access and see what rules are affecting the app from completing its page load and preventing the subsequent channels from playing.

I admit I am at a lost of laying culpability to whether it is a problem with EASYLIST or ADBLOCK but my guess would be Easylist (in that without a subscription, nothing is blocked and therefore no 'interuption would be had).

Could you help or guide me please.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

jimimaseye wrote:I admit I am at a lost of laying culpability to whether it is a problem with EASYLIST or ADBLOCK but my guess would be Easylist (in that without a subscription, nothing is blocked and therefore no 'interuption would be had).
If you disable the EasyList filter set does the problem exist? If yes, its Adblock. If no, then the problem is likely in EasyList.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye »

As it is on "Adblock For Android" (an App), it is not possible to 'disable Easylist' (like you wold be able to in the browser addon); it is only possible to disable Adblock altogether or have it all going. And its not possible to have Adblock running without having a nominated filter and ALL the filters that are offered contain Easylist.
jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye »

How do I get attention of the Easylist authors to review/comment on this? Is this not the right place to report a problematic block? Is there a more formal method of reporting and error with Easylist that ensures it will get reviewed?
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

I have no such problem using the site with my browser or my mobile. I don't have Adblock on mobile. My suggestion is to disable AdBlock while you're using that site.

Everyone's is a volunteer here (read: EasyList authors) so you'll have to be patient when one of them has time to take a look: rules#post5
jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye »

Cheers Lanik

I am patient (11 days since original posting and still waiting for authors reply.... this shows I am patient), I was actually asking about how to get comment because I was unsure if the authors do actually see it or not (or whether there was another platform somewhere). It seemed that if this is the only place then it was likely hit and miss whether ones reports actually get seen or responded to).

Re the error: well yes, if you dont have Adblock on your mobile then you wont have the problem (and neither would I, and neither would I then be reporting a problem about using Adblock on a mobile) :-? In essence you have said, "if its causing you a problem then dont use it." It goes without saying that 'disabling adblock' could be the answer but it isnt; because if you disable it, then the proxy that sits at port 2020 (provided by the now turned off Adblock) is not going to forward the traffic that has been directed to it by the wifi settings and it disables ALL wifi traffic. So the only answer would be to then mess around with your wifi proxy settings to remove the redirect though to port 2020 (also inconvenient but both would be a permanent solution as no one would want to mess around setting it up again every time they finish watch the TV on their mobile. They would simply leave it, remove adblock and write it off as a bad app).

I have a workround myself by fudging around using the browser offering of Filmon rather than their app (as it is my only option if I want to benefit from Adblock on my mobile, AND also Filmon convenience to watch TV). But not everyone is like me and others would not be so canny and be able to.

And anyway, that defies the point of a 'report an error' forum. The idea of me reporting this was to help the authors and get the bug fixed and improve their product for the benefit of the masses (of which I am one) and this is why I was asking whether they actually see these reports. And this is very important especially for users of the Adblock for Android product as using their EASYLIST is unavoidable (installed by default and uneditable).
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

you could try adding the filemon app (I mean the server used by the app) to the bypass proxy list
https://adblockplus.org/en/android-imag ... png?a=show
jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye »

hi intense

Yes, I did try that. I added 'filmon.com' to the bypass but it didnt make a difference. And to confound the problem, because it is an app (and not a browser) I cant get to see what rules are actually blocking and causing the problem and consequently I cant even verify what the servers are that are providing the stream of blocked data (eg, I say "filmon.com" but it might be something very different - and given that my bypass rule doesnt change anything, it probably is!)
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

you need some network traffic tool

read this http://developer.android.com/tools/debu ... ml#network
"The DDMS tool included in the Android SDK includes a tool for monitoring network traffic."
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

jimimaseye wrote:Re the error: well yes, if you dont have Adblock on your mobile then you wont have the problem (and neither would I, and neither would I then be reporting a problem about using Adblock on a mobile) :-? In essence you have said, "if its causing you a problem then dont use it."
That's not what I meant. This is part of standard troubleshooting.
jimimaseye wrote:And anyway, that defies the point of a 'report an error' forum. The idea of me reporting this was to help the authors and get the bug fixed and improve their product for the benefit of the masses (of which I am one) and this is why I was asking whether they actually see these reports. And this is very important especially for users of the Adblock for Android product as using their EASYLIST is unavoidable (installed by default and uneditable).
My guess is the problem is with Adblock for Android. I tried it once and I can't say I found the product to be mature. If I'm right the steps I asked you to take would have shown that in which case you would need to report it to the Adblock team. Not like we don't appreciate the heads up. ;-)
jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye »

Lanik wrote:My guess is the problem is what Adblock for Android. I tried it once and I can't say I found the product to be mature. If I'm right the steps I asked you to take would have shown that in which case you would need to report it to the Adblock team. Not like we don't appreciate the heads up. ;-)
You mean like this: https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic ... 15&t=36628 ? 8)

Yep, as you will see, I will reside to this being a permanent problem not to be resolved.