Easylist freezing Firefox when checking Facebook

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
TCCB

Easylist freezing Firefox when checking Facebook

Post by TCCB »

Hi, I'm not sure this is the correct place to report a bug, if not, please move it to the proper place.

For the last week I'm getting a bug that I know is being caused by easylist.

I'm using Firefox 30 (but started out in 29.0.1) with adblock plus. When I browse facebook, as soon as I open the tab it freezes the browser, after that anytime I open a tab of a friend's facebook profile or of a facebook page, the browser freezes again.

I have selectively disabled all other filters, and those do not interfere, it's only when I turn on, or off, easylist that make any difference. Having it turned on, makes the browser freeze when I open facebook related tabs, and having it turned off resolves the problem (or course most publicity comes back).

This issue does not happen in any other site, just facebook.

I reported it on the adblock plus site, and they can't find anything wrong with the add-on itself. A couple of other people have encountered the same error, if you wish you can check the bug report on the adblock forum here.

This issue happens when I use Firefox or Cyberfox (both based on the Firefox source code), it does not happen when I use PaleMoon or Comodo IceDragon (also based on the Firefox source code). It also doesn't happen on Google Chrome.

Please let me know if you need some further information, I really need help with this one, I ran out of trick to try. Nothing solved it.

Thank you.
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

I found out that if I turn on my Facebook chat everything works fine, which is weird.
raqua

Post by raqua »

I am also experiencing this issue, but on Chrome 35. EasyList seems to be the culprint. However, it does not only affect me on facebook, also other sites are affected, youtube for sure etc...
Site takes very long to load and status text shows "Waiting for adblock" (or something like that)
galacticninja
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by galacticninja »

I am experiencing a similar issue which I had previously posted at the ABP forums. Reposting it here for discussion and to serve as a report from another user with a similar issue:

Upon updating to Firefox 30, I've noticed that every time I view my news feed (https://www.facebook.com/ - while logged in), other people's timeline (https://www.facebook.com/insertprofileidhere) or album pages at Facebook, the browser hangs / freezes for ~30 seconds or more if ABP is the only extension enabled and if EasyList is the only list enabled. Oftentimes the ff. error message will also appear after the browser has freezed for some time:

" Warning: Unresponsive script

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yp/r/21bfDHaSBi6.js:68 "

Opting to stop the script will allow me to view the page and stop the browser from hanging.

This happens if ABP is the only extension I have enabled, and EasyList is the only list I have active. (See ABP report below.)
  • ABP report made after browser freeze
  • Browser: Firefox 30
  • ABP version: 2.6.3
  • Already tried: Clearing all cookies, cache, *all* history - to no avail.
  • Tried different themes, including the default theme, but the issue persists. Bookmarks toolbar is not enabled.
  • Disabling EasyList, and using only the Facebook Annoyances blocking list seems to resolve the issue. (but ads will appear on every site)
  • I've experienced no similar issues on non-facebook.com sites.
____
TCCB wrote:I found out that if I turn on my Facebook chat everything works fine, which is weird.
It seems that this workaround works. I would prefer to have chat disabled though, since I never use it and due to privacy issues (it allows other users to see when I am logged-in to Facebook).

To further improve the workaround, go to Chat options > Advanced Settings > Turn on chat for only some friends... and specify a friend name or list you wouldn't mind being shown your chat online status to.
Thaliel

Post by Thaliel »

I have experinced shor or even complete freezes on fb as well, but only sometimes...but ever since xesterday, I always get a complete freeze due the plugin container no longer working as soon as I open equstriadaily.com

same site works just fine if I turn ABP off, so the addon or the list filters must be the source of the problem
Thaliel

Post by Thaliel »

I have also often experienced this, but it is now also completely freezing from the plugin container no longer working any time I open equestriadaily.com

same site works totally fine when ABP is turned off
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

At the moment, I am no longer having this issue.

It seemingly when away on its own.