##.notifyjs-corner

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
Marco Sulla

##.notifyjs-corner

Post by Marco Sulla »

Hello all.

I activated "Fanboy’s Annoyance List" on uBlock. I'm a developer, and we use Notify.js for displaying notification to users. They are innocuous little divs that appears for a while displaying a message than disappears.

I noticed that these messages was no more displayed in my browser. I disabled uBlock for my localhost and it worked. So I checked the lists I activated and I found that Fanboy’s Annoyance List block the class "notifyjs-corner", globally.

I found that other lists also blocks "notifyjs-corner", but only for specific sites.

Can you please remove this rule and add a more strict rule that works only for offending sites?
smed79 Verified
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 Verified »

Blocking/Hiding annoying notifications is one of the purpose of Fanboy’s Annoyance List.

Provide an example url, so that EasyList Authors can check if the blocking is legitimate or not.

--
Here, how to add an exception filter for hiding rule https://adblockplus.org/filters#elemhide_exceptions - (e.g localhost#@#.notifyjs-corner)
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
fanboy Verified
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy Verified »

The annoyances list will block anything thats actually part of the content of a page; so
  • Push notifications
  • Social Stuff
  • Cookie notices
  • Next/Prev page elements
  • Notifications divs
  • And any other unnecessary elements that detract the main website content
tl;dr we want clean sites. The annoyances list is optional.

It was added here; https://github.com/easylist/easylist/co ... 8c3d1f5c85
Marco Sulla

Post by Marco Sulla »

smed79 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:54 am Provide an example url, so that EasyList Authors can check if the blocking is legitimate or not.
I can't, because out product is for private tender notices. I can supply you an example of what are the messages that are you blocking:

https://jsfiddle.net/6u0597t4/
smed79 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:54 amHere, how to add an exception filter
I know how to add an exception filter, what I'm requesting is to remove this rule, because is too generic and touch a usually innocuous and useful JS library.
If some site abuse it, you should block it only for those sites, but not globally.
fanboy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:04 am The annoyances list will block anything thats actually part of the content of a page; so
  • [...]
  • Next/Prev page elements
  • Notifications divs
What's the purpose of removing Next/Prev page elements? How can be annoying? And why you block all notification divs, also notification that can be important / useful?
smed79 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:54 am Blocking/Hiding annoying notifications is one of the purpose of Fanboy’s Annoyance List.
Well, but as I explained, this is a Javascript library that it's used for simple unobtrusive div messaging. By this point of view, you should block all JS (as NoScript do), because potentially is an annoyance.
Marco Sulla

Post by Marco Sulla »

And the answer is...?
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ Verified »

This is an optional list managed by @fanboy so it's up to him if he wants to remove it. From his earlier post it's not likely going to be removed.

Either remove the subscription from your ad blocker or rename the element / script.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
fanboy Verified
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy Verified »

I would need more examples of legit issues, a jsfiddle doesnt count.
Marco Sulla

Post by Marco Sulla »

Excuse me, but the fiddle is only to show the plugin and to see it's a legit plugin.

I mean, you can kill a person with a spoon, hitting someone in his eye. But spoons are not bad and pernicious usually.

I can't demonstrate a practical legit use of this plugin, since I knew about it only at work, and I can't show our site because is a private tender (bid, or rfx) site. But we used it instead of the classic message at the top of the page, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you should reconsider this global rule and see which sites use it in a malicious or excessive way.
Marco Sulla

Post by Marco Sulla »

And the answer is...?
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

Have you provided what @fanboy asked for? Until you do the answer doesn't change.
Marco Sulla

Post by Marco Sulla »

Oh my god... I have to create a web crawler that searches for site pages with this plugin and see if they uses it in a legit way?
C'mon, is a plugin that shows a floating div for messaging purpose. Blocking it in all sites is a nonsense. You should also block all the Bootstrap Alert classes in this case.

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/components/alerts/
LanikSJ Verified
Site Owner
Site Owner

Oh my god... I guess I have to repeat myself again. :roll:

Fanboy’s Annoyances list is optional filter list, either turn it off or create your own list that carries your exceptions. This list provides people with the freedom to have those annoying popups blocked. You might not find them annoying but many people do myself included.

How long are we going to beat this dead horse 🐴?

We're not. When you're ready to provide something @fanboy or anyone else can work with let me know and I'll reopen this thread.