facebook.com (dev issue)

This is where you should report issues arising from the subscription filters.
kaign

facebook.com (dev issue)

Post by kaign »

Hello, I am developing web service which will allow users to create ads on facebook without using facebook directly.
Facebook can generate an iframe which will show how your future ad will look on their platform, this is not real ad, just it's appearance. We noticed that this preview iframe is blocked (most of our users use AdBlock), and this really worsen user experience.
Here is what we see in AdBlock blocked requests logs:

Request: https://www.facebook.com/ads/api/preview_iframe.php?d=...
Type: SUBDOCUMENT
Filter: .com/ads/$image,object,subdocument EasyList

If you could exclude https://www.facebook.com/ads/api/preview_iframe that would be really helpfull
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I don't like this request, given the issues with Facebook recently I'm not really comfortable adding this generic whitelist
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

most of our users use AdBlock
They can disable their adblocker or add as a custom filter

Code: Select all

@@||www.facebook.com/ads/api/preview_iframe.php?$subdocument
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

[mention]kaign[/mention] that frame is only used directly on FB site or some other third-party page ?
xegara

Post by xegara »

You own a service that creates ads and ask an adblocking filter for a whitelist?

If anything, preventing the creation of ads is the best form of adblock.
kaign

Post by kaign »

Sorry for late response, have been very busy
[mention]smed79[/mention] audience of our service are very simple, far from any tech people. They wont do it, and we wont ask them.
[mention]intense[/mention] that frame used in our site only. Facebook generates it and sends to us. Then we must append it to our html. here is an example of what facebook sends:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/ads/api/preview_iframe.php?d=AQIK9ek9-vOFN5vQSmM466EGLsMXh-qFyV5Y4TTvXK0yusw-KQdZBsJEGyFJNf08k3crSsZUV-AXXNyw475s06lk6ikEmIE1lUQmT9G9mYPgExsd3ep0AkdpwKpDPyG8LVVlbt-ij6_a_pcqV7vZtCCyhjMBKIbrjm168IpIHWL4s0dMB0VgA7E9UhJQXMOnGyK9p1ACSKSyPJPgamxvC6PL2StCZP0sFJktSe70mH_SYHDyBV17VYSfzzta4B2tDspF_5HCtfbgX9KGP2yw60HI&t=AQJPsj5_xUntnnGP" width="502" height="690" scrolling="yes" style="border: none;"></iframe>
and thank you for uBo
[mention]xegara[/mention] we help people to create ads on facebook only. Ads that people see in their news feed. It's not so bad :)
[mention]fanboy[/mention] but it's really really worsen users experience..
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I'm not making the call for this to be added, since facebook has been countering many of our adblock filters in the last 6 months.
kaign

Post by kaign »

[mention]fanboy[/mention]
I think it's naturall that facebook wants their ads to be shown, and they dedicate some effort to it. However, I believe that whitelisting one url from their API, which is used mostly in development, will not bring any harm. Endpoint hasn't been changed since 2014 (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/224 ... -rendering)
This iframe doesn't even loads ad itself, it loads just image of ad(not clickable) => I cannot show image from facebook on my site, it's really frustrating.
kaign

Post by kaign »

@fanboy Thanks a lot! However this didn't work. I am quite dumb at this, but these are rules that worked for me:

@@||www.facebook.com/ads/api/preview_iframe.php?$subdocument
@@||web.facebook.com/ads/api/preview_iframe.php?$subdocument
@@||mtouch.facebook.com/ads/api/preview/?$subdocument
It appears that after first request we need two more(we show how ads look on different platform - facebook desktop, facebook mobile app..), I didn't see them before, because after first blocked request they were ommited. And it didn't work with ~third-party..
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

I'm not going to whitelist outside of facebook.com, this fix will only apply if you're in the domain of "facebook.com".
fanboy
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by fanboy »

Happy to add;

@@||facebook.com/ads/api/preview/$subdocument,~third-party

If it matters.
kaign

Post by kaign »

This won't do any help, so no need. Anyway, thank you