Facebook Web Tracking [rej]

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
hashbrowncipher

Facebook Web Tracking [rej]

Post by hashbrowncipher »

Logged-in Facebook users will also be transmitting information about their travels around the net to Facebook servers whenever they visit a page deploying the Like button, regardless of whether they actually click that button or not. Facebook also plans to transmit user data to some web services ahead of their visit — so that when you visit the site, it’s “instantly personalized.” In practice, this means that if you are new to the music site Pandora, they’ll have a custom station waiting for you based on the music you’ve liked in your profile.
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/04/ ... comes-web/

It doesn't seem that either EasyList or EasyPrivacy are doing anything about this, so I wrote up these rules. They are perhaps too expansive, but they're a good start.

Code: Select all

facebook.com^$domain=~facebook.com
facebook.net^$domain=~facebook.com
MonztA Verified
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA Verified »

You filter would block this widget thingy on the right: http://www.gamestar.de/community/
e80 Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by e80 Verified »

Don't forget fbcdn.net if you want to block facebook entirely.

I don't think this is EasyList material though.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Facebook is for very stupid people!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :D

I've the following filters: :idea:

api.facebook.com^
connect.facebook.com^
they seemed to work so far!!!!!!! :D :D but maybe you're right :-? also facebook.com^ should be added!!!! :D :D :D :D :idea:

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael Verified »

People who publicly announce their personal details on such social networking sites should realise that their online activities can be monitored by the domain. To avoid this, the user should simply log out of their account.

If there are any items that specifically track the user I will consider adding filters for them to EasyPrivacy.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Also: :idea: :idea:

facebook.com/plugins/*
has to be added to your personal filters!!!!!!!!! :D :D :idea: (if you aren't blocking facebook.com^ already!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :idea: :D )

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.

Post by Guest »

Michael wrote:People who publicly announce their personal details on such social networking sites should realise that their online activities can be monitored by the domain. To avoid this, the user should simply log out of their account.

If there are any items that specifically track the user I will consider adding filters for them to EasyPrivacy.
Err, non registered users are also tracked by facebook, so this is a site that should be added to easyprivacy?!
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

In what manner are users tracked by Facebook? Which items are responsible?
primexx

Post by primexx »

I just noticed that Engadget has a box at the side which displays facebook activities. I think these third party info-sharing things should be blocked by Easy Privacy.

I googled the ^ character but still don't quite grasp what it does. I'm assuming that OP's filters blocks everything from facebook that's not on facebook. would the other filters listed be necessary then?

Could someone please help write the filter(s) that blocks all of facebook on everything except facebook?

Thanks!
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

Information on the usage of the "^" character in Adblock Plus filters is available at https://adblockplus.org/en/filters#separators.

In order to block Facebook everywhere except on the domain itself the following filter will be required:

||facebook.com^$third-party
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Hi!!!!!!! :D yeah!! :D
so, this is so far the list of filters to use against facebook: :biggrin: :idea: :idea:

facebook.com/plugins/*
api.facebook.com^
connect.facebook.com^
static.ak.fbcdn.net^$domain=~facebook.com
facebook.com^$third-party
new suggestions are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea: :D

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
primexx

Post by primexx »

thanks Michael.

I'm now using:

facebook.com^$third-party
fbcdn.net^$domain=~facebook.com

hopefully it's sufficient
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

The second filter should be fbcdn.net^$domain=~facebook.com. Alternatively, fbcdn.net^$third-party would have the same effect.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

Michael wrote:The second filter should be fbcdn.net^$domain=~facebook.com. Alternatively, fbcdn.net^$third-party would have the same effect.
i ain't sure about that :roll: at the beginning when i used $third-party the filter wasn't working, because the images hosted there are loaded from another domain (facebook.com instead of fbcdn.net), this is why i managed to do the job using $domain=~facebook.com :D :D :idea:

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Michael Verified
Contributor
Contributor

My mistake, sorry; the third-party option wouldn't work.
x

Post by x »

||facebook.com^$third-party
||facebook.net^$third-party,domain=~facebook.com
||facebook.com^$third-party is not enough.
Your browser would not try to connect fbcdn.net if you add these.
SunBloq

Post by SunBloq »

I'm sorry for being so old and archaic -
but how can I block the facebook ad/link on Discogs' release pages??

http://www.discogs.com/release/79963

I don't even get how one is to enter the addresses you mention.
Filter list? Black list?

ps. I use Chrome...
SubBloq

Post by SubBloq »

..^^..it appears as if Facebook creates a specific link for every release/page update
= the ordinary Ctrl+Shift+K is rendered useless..
Hubird Verified
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird Verified »

This is probably not the right place to seek help as all the people here are Firefox + Adblock Plus users...

Chrome ad block is and entirely separate project not supported or created by the same people.
SMT

Post by SMT »

why is it it uses easylist what is different other then the UI.
Hubird Verified
Adversity Author
Adversity Author

Post by Hubird Verified »

SMT wrote:why is it it uses easylist what is different other then the UI.
I don't think the adblockers for chrome support the same (as many) switches and filter options as ABP. And at the time of writing I don't think they (chrome ones) actually "block" content, rather they hide everything.