duckduckgo.com

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
Racer
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by Racer »

-Mark- wrote:
Racer wrote:Duckduckgo Annoyance
These are the ones I use for DDG. These should kill all other remaining annoyances.

duckduckgo.com##.js-tag-home.no-js__hide.tag-home--slide.tag-home
duckduckgo.com##.badge-link
duckduckgo.com###back-to-top
duckduckgo.com##.js-results-sidebar-alt.results--sidebar--alt
thanks a bunch.
crssi
Site Member
Site Member

Post by crssi »

at some point you need to draw a line, even on trusting someone
i have DDG whitelisted and moved on
Racer
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by Racer »

crssi wrote:at some point you need to draw a line, even on trusting someone
i have DDG whitelisted and moved on

I trust and love Duckduckgo, its not a matter. But i don't like these annoying popup's, notification's etc.....
These days pretty much every site makes user experience as hell as possible,
thank god we have ublock, easylist, ghostry etc or else i would have already fedup....
WarFame
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by WarFame »

@yegg: If anything this wouldn't be added to EasyList (blocks ads) but Annoyance List (blocks other annoyances)‎ which is not activated by default and has to be added manually by every user if they choose to get rid of all elements that clutter up their web experience.
yegg
Site Member
Site Member

Post by yegg »

@WarFame thanks, though what was blocked already in this thread is well beyond ads, which is why I am concerned.
WarFame
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by WarFame »

@yegg: Not sure what you're referring to. The only thing I see was added is an entry in EasyPrivacy which is not the same as EasyList, the one shipped with ABP.
yegg
Site Member
Site Member

Post by yegg »

@WarFrame maybe I am confused and by all means please educate me :). Is this commit not on EasyList?

https://github.com/easylist/easylist/co ... 30f305d173
WarFame
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by WarFame »

@yegg: It is not, no.
I see how this could be confusing since some of the filter lists are grouped into the repository easylist/easylist.
yegg
Site Member
Site Member

Post by yegg »

@WarFame thank you for the clarification. I still don't understand why we would be blocked on any privacy list since everything is anonymous, though it is certainly better that it isn't on the default on list.
yegg
Site Member
Site Member

Post by yegg »

@WarFame the issue is that uBlock does include the EasyPrivacy list as on by default.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

yegg wrote:@WarFame the issue is that uBlock does include the EasyPrivacy list as on by default.
Then you should contact the uBO dev and have a heart to heart with him.
yegg
Site Member
Site Member

Post by yegg »

@Mark I take no issue with uBO's decision to do that. My issue is that DuckDuckGo is completely anonymous and so I don't understand why we would be being blocked at all on the basis of privacy. If there is a good reason to do so, I would like to understand it so we can fix it immediately for all of our users.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

uBO hasn't blocked you at all. Install uBO and see for yourself. I'm not sure from where you're getting this idea. Only EasyPrivacy is blocking this address - ||duckduckgo.com/t/. I don't know why and I could care less as I make use of multiple search engines and I never rely on a single one as I'm a huge privacy nut myself.

I block lots of things which are not blocked by any filterlists/uBO/ABP and others. If you're wondering about why EasyPrivacy is activated by default that's because that's what uBO is here to guard and protect its users from. That's why it also has few privacy based features of its own, which you won't find in ABP and all others.

Speaking about anonymity, I disagree. DDG tracks IP address of users and offers them results based on their country which is contradictory to what "completely anonymous" means.

You should realise by now, there's no such thing as completely anonymous online. Every website tracks something even if it's for their own gain or to make their website grow large and bare big fruits. In the end, it still happens and users no longer wish to take chances, so addons like uBO and others are popping up as of late. I also block fingerprinting and all forms of it via another addon called ScriptSafe on Chromium. You would be surprised as to know how far I go to block as much as I can.
yegg
Site Member
Site Member

Post by yegg »

I understand and respect your position.

For the record, DuckDuckGo absolutely does not track people based on IP address or any other personal information. In fact, we do not collect or share any personal information at all. That's our privacy policy in a nutshell: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy

We can serve localized instant answers (for things like the weather) while still keeping you completely anonymous, in accordance with our strict privacy policy.

To do so, we approximate location information using a GEO::IP lookup (without logging). This process does not expose any personally identifiable information like IP addresses to third parties, nor do we track, log, or store any in the process.
-Mark-
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post by -Mark- »

Still it's not completely anonymous, as the definition on technical terms varies from person to person.
For the record, DuckDuckGo absolutely does not track people based on IP address or any other personal information. In fact, we do not collect or share any personal information at all. That's our privacy policy in a nutshell: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy
That's nice of you, but still I don't trust you or any webmaster on the Internet, simple. You may very well be honest about what you're saying and but there are people like me who have experienced hypocritical statements from other webmasters and decided to either boycott or change their stance on internet privacy, but doing whatever they can to beat any chance of getting their browsing info leaked through any means possible.
We can serve localized instant answers (for things like the weather) while still keeping you completely anonymous, in accordance with our strict privacy policy.

To do so, we approximate location information using a GEO::IP lookup (without logging). This process does not expose any personally identifiable information like IP addresses to third parties, nor do we track, log, or store any in the process.

Yes, I am well aware of how that helps DDG serve localized and instant answers, however folks like me don't feel comfortable seeing their country flag in the results realizing that it's manipulating search results in accordance to my country's location. If I wanted a localized answer, don't you think I would search on my country's search portal engines which already offers such results as you do. But I do not. I also know how other search engines are already doing this that and some of them are far worse comparatively.

Anyways, you have to do what's best for your search engine and us privacy nuts will do what we feel like doing, there's no middle ground though.