Popup Ad "Visual Search-Powered by Similar Items" on Google

Here you should report unblocked ads, trackers, social media items, annoyances or leftovers from blocked content.
vijyes

Popup Ad "Visual Search-Powered by Similar Items" on Google

Post by vijyes »

I've installed adblock, adblock plus, ghostery in my google chrome. Almost all the ads and popups are blocked. However, I consistently see the popup "VisualSearch-Powered by similar Items" on Google search that shows some irrelevant ebay product for my search results. Also it is annoying. On clicking x(close), it says that this won't be shown for next 24 hours. But after that it will again start popping up. Here is an image of screenshot of the ad:
http://i.imgur.com/3M4zUcc.png .
In this I've tried to search google for tracking my registered post (India) but I'm getting an irrelevant USA stamp ad from ebay (guessed USA as price is in $)

I've tried disabling all but adblock, then all but adblock plus, then repeated with ghostery. I also searched internet extensively. Still no avail.
Any help to bypass/block it permanently rather than for 24 hours would be much appreciated
intense
Contributor
Contributor

Post by intense »

Did you scan your system for malware / adware ?
use http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/ ... ware.shtml
vijyes

Post by vijyes »

I install deep freeze in my PC. I keep it activated on Cdrive always except when updating windows. When updating Windows, I don't surf the net for security reasons. So, I don't think any virus/malware can ever creep into my system. Also, I have Windows defender scanning my PC every week. Most importantly, this problem has been occurring for a year now during which time I have even changed my laptop and clean installed windows 8 in my new laptop which is just about 20 days old. But this ad popup keeps showing up.
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Please list all extension you have installed in Chrome.
vijyes

Post by vijyes »

I have total 12 extensions. They are:
Switchy Sharp (proxy switch),Ghostery,adblock,Stop Autoplay in Background Tabs for Youtube,Flash Video downloader,Personal Blocklist (by google),Google Translate,adblock plus,Google Voice,Proxy List,Image Downloader,Prevent Duplicate tabs

Of these the last 5 are disabled most of the time

By the way, now I've disabled the ad by adding the below line to adblock customized filter (I just right clicked on the ad and asked adblock to block it by sliding the slidebar till it was blocked properly):
http://www.google.co.in##DIV[id="SF_SEARCHGET"]

Now, the problem seems to have been solved for me. If possible add this line to the main filter list so as to help many others who don't know to edit the filters.
Anyways, thank you for all the prompt replies
MonztA
EasyList Author
EasyList Author

Post by MonztA »

Please remove the filter for now and disable all extensions but Adblock Plus for testing only. Does the ad still appear then?
vijyes

Post by vijyes »

For now, it is not appearing with either "adblock only" mode or "adblock plus only" mode. I'll test it for a day or two and report back if this ad appears again. This ad is not something that appears consistently. For example if the ad appears for a search "abc", on reloading the ad may not appear. And on again reloading it again may appear (it is kind of erratic). By the way, I use Google Chrome 27 portable version (not the normal version install version) as I have deep freeze due to which cookies will be forgotten every time I shut down my computer, So I use portable chrome on D drive.
vijyes

Post by vijyes »

I've tested for an hour. Now I find that Only "adblock" mode still shows this ad while only "adblock plus" mode doesn't show this ad. However, using only "adblock plus" or "adblock", I get some other ads in google. Here is a print screen:
http://i.imgur.com/yai16Cj.png
Look at the right side. You can find sponsored result.

I think, if I use both the adblocks, maybe I can get the desired results. I will check that and reply soon.