Why I use use Firefox (my post -Washington Post)

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Why I use use Firefox (my post -Washington Post)

Post by rick752 »

Posted way down on here:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/security ... for_2.html

Posted by me on the Washington Post:

After reading through all of the comments here and sorting out the good and bad, I thought that I would throw in my 2 cents here.

I've been using Firefox for a long time now. All of the main browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) have had their ups and downs over recent years. IE is the 'easiest' to use because everyone makes sure that things work for it ... whether standards compliant or not! Opera has very fast rendering and is a fine piece of free software ... but with limited customization.

Which brings me to the reason I use Firefox. First, no matter what certain "stats" say, I AM safer using Firefox because IE is prone to 'drive-by' installs. I have been using Firefox since Phoenix 0.7 and have NEVER had the security problems that my IE-using counterparts did.

Second, I cannot live without the great extensions that are offered for Firefox. There can really be no argument that Firefox is "hands down" the most 'modular' browser out there. The extent of available customization and browser addons (especially for blocking web annoyances) is unparalleled by any other browser. If you think Firefox is leaking memory, spend $30 and stuff some more in your machine, "cheapy". I have 1 gig/memory and use a bunch of addons in Firefox and have never had a noticeable memory problem with it.

Because I feel there are really no blatant security flaws in Firefox that do not usually show up in IE too, I couldn't imagine giving up Firefox's addon features for ANY reason. I'll take Firefox with its minor problems over any of its competitors ... anyday!

.... rick752
(author: Easylist filters for Adblock Plus)

Posted by: rick752 | January 6, 2007 04:10 PM
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

'modular', wow that sums it up better then I've ever heard it. I've never seen it referred to that way. I have for a long time liked being able to pick and chose which features are important enough to install (via extensions/add ons) but it's hard to explain to others exactly what extensions are about. Modular, that is exactly what they are about. Nice!
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Y'know, maybe the marketing is all wrong for Firefox.

Instead of what's more secure and what's better and what's faster, maybe it's about time the folks at Mozilla started marketing Firefox for what people REALLY like it for .... all the great things you can add to it.

Maybe the new slogan should be:

Firefox
.... the "truly modular" web browser

... let's see the IE and Opera guys rebuff THAT one :)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Agreed! This is the #1 reason Firefox is chosen over Opera IMHO.
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

Jaime17 wrote:Indianapolis Web Design
Spammer. I've already deleted a similar post from the NoScript forums. (Sorry for posting, but I couldn't find a "Report" button.)
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

Deleted user, thanks.