What causes Firefox to slow down

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
rubella

What causes Firefox to slow down

Post by rubella »

What causes Firefox to slow down or not respond sometimes? I don't get it. My computer is not using excess disk space, I've cleaned up all unnecessary files, and I don't have too many applications running at once. So why is it that sometimes when I browse the internet, Firefox sometimes doesn't respond or runs too slow- EVEN when I have absolutely no other applications running? I used to see this problem with the Explorer in the past, which is why I switched to Firefox. And, after a period of time once again it's the same problem.
Last edited by Michael on Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed signature spam
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Which add-ons do you use?
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I've found plug-ins to be more of an issue with this then extensions/add-ons in most cases. But of course there is some add-ons that are a mess that do cause problems. I try to limit add-ons to what I feel I just about 'must haves'. If I go a while without using an add-on then it goes bye bye. Obviously I don't really need it as much as I thought. There are some cool/fun/neat add-ons out there, but you have to remember what they cost. Each one does bite into Firefox's overall performance at least a little bit. If you have 20+ add-ons.. yep it's time to reconsider. But it sounds like I'm going against what I just said about plug-ins, well I find that one add-on that helps out with them a lot is QuickJava. Don't let the name fool you it's not just about Java. It allows you to toggle many plug-ins on and off. Java, Flash, Silverlight, Css (not a plug-in and I don't use this one much), images, and Javascript. I find that Flash is a performance killer with Firefox. I disable it unless I want to use it for a video or something..and I can tell immediately when it's disabled because the performance difference is huge.

Just some of my thoughts and some ideas to try. I hope it helps.
bee
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by bee »

IceDogg wrote:I find that Flash is a performance killer with Firefox.
Hi!!!!!!!!! :D :D

YEAH!!!!! :D that's very true!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :idea:
Flash is a resources killer :arrow: it's a cpu-cycles waster and memory hog application :-? and its version made for linux is even unable to use the hardware acceleration of GPUs, so it relies only on the CPU(s) :surprised: :!: :!: Adobe and formerly Macromedia never cared to make an optimized version of it, for neither windows nor linux, but the version for linux is pure garbage!!!!!! :surprised: :surprised: :roll: well, it's true :idea: :idea: :idea:
Whenever it's possible, you've to avoid to install Flash!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :idea: And to suggest everybody to drop it!!!! :D :D It's a very useless, centralized, closed and evil technology :surprised: :-? :idea: It would be much better to write fast websites using only HTML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D and bittorrent (P2P) to share videos in HQ!!!!!! :idea: yeah, i find very funny, but sad at the same time, when people talk about "Youtube's High Quality videos" :surprised: :surprised: :-? :idea: the source of my mixed feelings is the definition of "High Quality videos" :roll: is it supposed to be "High Quality" a small video like those used for online streming?!!!!!!!!!! :surprised: :-? :-? :idea: :roll:
Ah, yeah, i also like QuickJava!!!!!!! :D :idea: :idea: It's very simple, small and it works without causing headaches!!!!!!! :D :D :idea:

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The bee is more honored than others, not because the bee labors, but because the bee labors for others.