Thunderbird on Exchange Server?

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
mwagner

Thunderbird on Exchange Server?

Post by mwagner »

Ok, Rick you said it was "OK" to start posting all kinds of questions - here ya' go!!

We have an Microsoft Exchange email server running at work. I am being told by our "computer experts" that we can't run Thunderbird with an exchange server. Is this true? I HATE Outlook ..it is a lousy piece of software. Microsoft should be ashamed of it. I LOVE Thunderbird and would like to run it at work.

I don't really use all the other "baggage" that comes along with Outlook (the scheduler, address book ect). So I have no reason to hang on to it.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Ok you got it, Markie

We went thru the EXACT same thing at work ... Tbird wouldn't work with Exchange. It was a bit strange if I remember ... I set the server name for INCOMING and OUTGOING, but could only receive mail and not send it.

You need to enable POP or IMAP in the Exchange mail server. Then just enter your server name in your Thunderbird account with your login name under it (just like setting up a regular POP account). You should only have to use the server name (like 'exchange' or something) and shouldn't need the entire path, but don't hold me to that. You shouldn't need to do anything else different.

Have you already tried using Tbird at work yet? It may work without any problem if you get the server name right. Fred, Jeff and I all run it at work on an Exchange server with no problems.

... and you're right ... if you just want a good email client, Outlook is the WORST!
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"