Firefox 2.0 final has been released

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Firefox 2.0 final has been released

Post by The Masked Marauder »

I spotted a couple web sites today that said Firefox 2.0 final has been released. I checked Mozilla's home page, but it still shows 1.5.0.7 (as of 11 AM). However, when I modified the download link to say 2.0, it worked:

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 (Windows, English)
http://www.mozilla.com/products/downloa ... lang=en-US

For a list of what's new, here are the release notes (for 2.0 RC3).
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

Thanx MM .. got my copy this morning. DSLReports 'scooped' you. 2.0 is working just fine here and at work.

The only extension that I use that others might have trouble with is Tab Mix Plus ... but the author has a dev-build on his own website that works just fine.
(can't live without my dozen extensions). I love the spell checking (for forums like this).

Is it my imagination, or does 2.0 start faster?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Password Generator isn't "compatible" yet, but if you force it (by which ever means you chose) it will work without problems.
Peng
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Peng »

rick752 wrote:Is it my imagination, or does 2.0 start faster?
Yeah, it feels faster to me.

(Feel free to ignore this next paragraph. The only useful information is that Live HTTP Headers is partially broken in Firefox 2 and that Show Image works fine.)

I've only had problems with three extensions:
Live HTTP Headers - Had to bump maxVersion, and it doesn't fully work
Show Image - Had to bump the maxVersion. It works fine, of course. How would they manage to break it?
Session Manager - Augh! I'm 99% sure it was the cause of very frequent freezes I was having (but they started the day before I upgraded to Firefox 2). It would always freeze after a little while if I stressed Firefox, like by opening 100 tabs or opening a new tab and closing an old one right afterwards, or for no reason at all. Living without SM sucks. I want to access my sessions.

Sorry. I just felt like ranting about SM on a forum. :P

Hmm. The spell checker is pretty cool, but there are too many things it doesn't recognize. Just in this post, there are "[/url]", "maxVersion", "Augh", "Hmm", "UI" and "whitelisting". Is there a UI for whitelisting words like there is in Thunderbird? At least it doesn't pop up a dialog when I hit Submit, though. The red lines aren't that annoying. Having to click 'Ignore' for each of those like you have to in Thunderbird would be awfully annoying.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

Peng I agree needs a better dictionary. I wonder if there is a place to get some manual dictionarys. Cause you can add your own words so maybe someone would share words. I remember in the branch builds for a while it also didn't recognize Firefox. LOL