Firefox 61 on Windows 10 Pro 1803 breaks some functionality in the browser.

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
ReyKenobi
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Firefox 61 on Windows 10 Pro 1803 breaks some functionality in the browser.

Post by ReyKenobi »

I am just posting this here in case it turns out someone here can help me with this because I can't troubleshoot this anymore. Have been doing so for the past day. (Also posting it here in case of the very odd chance that its the adblock (ublock))

I bought a brand new laptop with no OS installed. Installed Windows 10 Pro 1803 from the official Windows iso downloaded from MS website. Activated it with the license I had, installed all the available updates.

Installed Firefox v60, and restored the profile I had backed up from the old laptop. Then updated it to v61, and updated all the extensions.

Now, I expected everything to work as it did on the old laptop, but the following issues have crept up:
1. CAPTCHA doesn't load. When I click the button to verify myself as human, the page just refreshes instead of opening the capchta puzzle.
2. Favicons don't load for some reason. Especially in the newsreader I use, called Feedly.

Both of these seem to be related, from what google threw at me, to 3rd party cookies. But I had disabled 3rd party cookies for the last 4 years I have been using my old one, and this has never happened.

Old laptop was running Win8.1 and Firefox 60. So I am thinking something has changed in Windows 10 Pro or Firefox v61, but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Any help would be appreciated....I...I am getting too formal....HELP ME GUYS!!
ReyKenobi
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by ReyKenobi »

Update: Ruled out Cookies as the issue. I made a new profile with -no-remote enabled, and enabled 3rd party cookies in there and tried captcha/feedly, but got the same results. It is either some other setting/feature in FF that is interfering or i need to change some windows settings or something.
ReyKenobi
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by ReyKenobi »

Sigh... Refreshing Firefox in the alt profile solved the issue...GOD! The amount of individual backups I'd have to take before refreshing/resetting my main profile!!
smed79
Liste AR/FR Author
Liste AR/FR Author

Post by smed79 »

and restored the profile I had backed up from the old laptop
For backup & restore, I never use sync or copy the full firefox profile folder.

what I need to back up
  • my custom Adblock Plus filtes hosted on a remote clood server. (dropbox.com, box.com, hubic.com, opendrive.com or bpaste.net)
  • my custom FF settings saved on a local text file which i restore via about:config
It will take me 5 or 10 minutes but is is the most clean way for fix damaged profile or new installation.
•► Read RULES / Use forum Search
••► Don't post clickable links
•••►Upload screenshots at imgbb.com
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

+1 to what @smed79 said. I backup my settings / extensions / bookmarks to Dropbox. Then put it all back 5-10 minutes tops. Re-using a profile version to version or OS to OS could cause issues all over the place as you have already noticed.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
ReyKenobi
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

Post by ReyKenobi »

@Lanik & @smed79 : Amen to both of you. Your approaches sound relatively painless, and not too time consuming. Its better to spend 5-10 minutes doing what you do, than backing up the whole profile which takes 1 minute to copy-paste but hours to troubleshoot in case something goes wrong.