Firefox 3 Released

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Firefox 3 Released

Post by rick752 »

No more 'betas' or 'release candidates' .... the long awaited released version Firefox 3 is finally here! It is a vast improvement over its predecessor. I love it :mrgreen:

Get it here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

I like being able to just type part of the name of a web page that I've previously visited right into the location bar. It's awesome not to have to manually search my history or bookmarks anymore.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Ahh someone discovered the power of Awesome Bar which I've been enjoying the past 6 months. :mrgreen:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by The Masked Marauder »

I don't care for the seemingly random selection of web sites in the awesome bar's list. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to disable this feature:
  • 1. In the address bar, enter about:config

2. In the filter bar, enter browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped

3. Double-click on the entry, which will change it from false to true.

4. Clear your private data (Tools > Clear Private Data).

5. Exit Firefox, then launch it again.
No more awesome bar.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I'm "on the fence" with the awesome bar. Most of my normal items are already set for easy access so I don't use it much.
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Its not random selection, its your history + bookmarks. Give it a chance it tends to grow on you. FYI that about:config entry just hides what awesome bar shows it doesn't disable anything unfortunately.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I agree with Lanik, I hated or at least disliked it at first, but now I think it's really a great feature.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

This is a good description of how the awesome bar works:
The bookmark search function is nice. However, I can think of a few reasons to disable the awesome bar:
  • If two or more people share the same Windows account, their browsing histories get mixed together in the same listing.
  • You may not want someone else to see a list of the sites that you've been visiting.
  • If you clear your private data frequently, your history will start from scratch.
I don't have any problem finding things in my bookmarks.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Lanik wrote:Its not random selection, its your history + bookmarks.
The first time you launch Firefox 3, the awesome bar pulls random entries from your bookmarks to populate the list. It takes a while for the bar to accumulate some history to work with.
Lanik wrote:FYI that about:config entry just hides what awesome bar shows it doesn't disable anything unfortunately.
After I did it, the awesome bar's listing is gone, and it doesn't perform keyword searches of my history/bookmarks. If that isn't disabled, it's sure doing a good impersonation. :D
LanikSJ
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by LanikSJ »

Agreed completely. I've been playing around with Fx3 a while so I most likely haven't noticed those things.

You can create different profiles for different users, which you probably know. Hey if it works for you great. :)
Alan Baxter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alan Baxter »

Fx 3 opens up a New Window much faster than Fx 2. On my 600MHz PIII, opening a new window for popups was so slow that I had Tab Mix Plus configured to open all popups in tabs. Fx 3 is so much faster that I've changed that setting back to Allow resized popups again. :D
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

The script processing speed of Fx3 is simply amazing. It seems that the most script-intense sites are some of the fastest. Browsing pages withing the same site is VERY fast (opera-like). This version also feels much snappier than its predecessor.