Thunderbird 1.5 and embedded images

Discussion of Firefox browser and its add-ons.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Thunderbird 1.5 and embedded images

Post by The Masked Marauder »

FYI - Thunderbird 1.5 has a little quirk in the way that it handles embedded images. If you forward a message with embedded pictures (versus attached files), Thunderbird 1.5 often won't include them. This appears to be a side effect of its anti-spam feature, and it didn't occur in earlier versions.

Here's the workaround for this annoyance. Instead of telling Thunderbird to forward the message, right-click in an open area of the message body and select "Edit as New...". Remove the original message's recipients, select the new recipients, and send it. It's a minor nuisance, but it works. Hopefully the Mozilla crew will fix this in the next release.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I don't normally forward graphics, so I can't comment on that. But I DO have one bug that is similar.

I include my logo in my signature. If I write a NEW message the signature with logo is intact. If I REPLY to a message it will add a signature but the logo disappears. ... it IS a bit odd.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

rick752 wrote:I include my logo in my signature. If I write a NEW message the signature with logo is intact. If I REPLY to a message it will add a signature but the logo disappears. ... it IS a bit odd.
Here's the explanation that I found. Some spammers/advertisers like to include clear GIFs in their messages as a way of tracking who opens their messages and when. The GIF is stored on a remote server, and a link is inserted in the message. When your e-mail client opens the message, it has to download the GIF, and they log your IP address when this happens. Thunderbird automatically blocks embedded images and displays the "Show images" button at the top of the message. Apparently, version 1.5 is now stripping embedded image links when you forward the message, so you won't pass this junk along to another unsuspecting person.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Thunderbird 1.5.0.2 has fixed this problem.
"A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines."
- Frank Lloyd Wright