AdBlock Plus support for Windows 8 and IE10?

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Jason007

AdBlock Plus support for Windows 8 and IE10?

Post by Jason007 »

Windows 8 has introduced new WinRT APIs which allow to write programs using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. So, my question is, can AdBlock Plus be finally ported to Windows 8 and IE10?
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Although we don't determine which browsers Adblock Plus supports, I don't think it's likely that the extension will be ported to Internet Explorer. Why don't you just switch browsers?
Jason007

Post by Jason007 »

Michael wrote:Although we don't determine which browsers Adblock Plus supports, I don't think it's likely that the extension will be ported to Internet Explorer. Why don't you just switch browsers?
I read that blog post a few months ago. But you can clearly see, Wladimir himself moved away from his plan of not supporting non-Gecko browsers by making a Chrome version of ABP. I also remember him saying that he can't make ABP for IE because it only supports extensions in the form of native code. Now that Windows 8 supports HTML and JavaScript based apps, I was thinking maybe it will be easier to port ABP to Windows 8 (see I'm talking about a system-wide AdBlocker which will block ads not only on IE10, but other web-based Metro apps of Windows 8 -- a bit like AdMuncher does).

Actually, I didn't make a request to port ABP to Windows 8. I was asking if it would be technically possible to do so. Maybe some one else who knows WinRT APIs can use the ABP source code to achieve this.
arflech

Post by arflech »

Jason007 wrote:Wladimir himself moved away from his plan of not supporting non-Gecko browsers by making a Chrome version of ABP.
That's a bit misleading; he took over a project started by Tom Joseph (AdThwart) when he didn't have time to maintain it, and even today Adblock Plus for Chrome is very different from the Firefox extension.

I'd recommend sticking with the TPLs, assuming they still exist in the Metro version of IE10.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Jason007 wrote:I was asking if it would be technically possible to do so.
No-one knows at present because, as far as I am aware, the documentation for the APIs has not been released.
Jason007 wrote:Windows 8 has introduced new WinRT APIs which allow to write programs using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. So, my question is, can AdBlock Plus be finally ported to Windows 8 and IE10?
Adblock Plus requires features that go beyond HTML and JavaScript: for example, it requires resource blocking, which has not even been fully implemented in Chrome. Even if the APIs do provide the required functionality, there is still the challenge of finding someone willing to develop the application.
Jason007

Post by Jason007 »

I understand it may yet not be possible to produce a WinRT based ABP. However, I think Wladimir should at least explore the possibilities. I posted a similar thread in the ABP forums too. Hopefully, Wladimir will notice it.