Organising the repositories

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Organising the repositories

Post by Michael »

The EasyList project has expanded rather rapidly recently, especially in terms of the number of repositories. We currently have one for EasyList and EasyPrivacy, one for EasyList Germany and one for combination subscriptions.

However, this has resulted in the duplication of some content. The licence files, identical across all subscriptions, are present in both the EasyList repository and the EasyList Germany repository; the same is true of the script used for combining subscriptions, although the EasyList Germany version has been superseded by the one in the Easylist repository. Furthermore, the subscription files for a single filter list are contained in their respective repositories, such as EasyList, while combination subscriptions, even EasyList and EasyPrivacy, are located in the EasyList combinations repository.

I would like to simplify things by moving all of the "final" subscription and licence files to the EasyList combinations repository. This is a back end change that will not affect the web addresses of the items. Is this acceptable with the community?
Ares2
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Post by Ares2 »

As MonztA doesn't have access to the combo repository yet, we will have to wait for Wladimir to set that up before the easylistgermany template can be moved.
anonymous74100
Latvian List Author
Latvian List Author

Post by anonymous74100 »

Why are EasyList's Hg repos hosted on adblockplus.org :?:
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

Wladimir has provided the EasyList subscriptions with hosting for as long as I have been with the project, presumably because EasyList was, at one point, the only prominent filter list for Adblock Plus. I am sure that more information about the historical reasons will be available from longer-term forum members.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

arflech

Post by arflech »

Michael wrote:Wladimir has provided the EasyList subscriptions with hosting for as long as I have been with the project, presumably because EasyList was, at one point, the only prominent filter list for Adblock Plus. I am sure that more information about the historical reasons will be available from longer-term forum members.
I think there was indeed a brief interlude between the demise of Filterset.G and the rise of Fanboy's list.
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael »

According to Fanboy, his lists predate EasyList, so it might be better to say that EasyList garnered more attention and was simply, for unknown reasons, more popular than Fanboy's List.
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I can't say if Fanboy's list predates Easylist or not, but I can say without doubt Easylist was there a long time before the end of Filterset.G. Because I actually started using it before Filterset.G completely stopped production (so to speak). Because Filterset.G just slowed way down and I had to make a change. I had already seen and heard about Easylist a good while before that. I don't remember if I had heard of Fanboy's or not at the time. I'm not jumping on him and his great list or anything just saying what went on with me back then.
arflech

Post by arflech »

Michael wrote:According to Fanboy, his lists predate EasyList, so it might be better to say that EasyList garnered more attention and was simply, for unknown reasons, more popular than Fanboy's List.
I remember the Opera Urlfilter lists more, and for a while they were updated very infrequently and so may not have gained much traction.

For a long time I had thought that the ABP lists were based on the Opera lists and so were not optimized for ABP's more expressive syntax, but I turned out to be wrong...