Can you say "Conflict of interest?"

General information, announcements and questions about the EasyList subscriptions.
The Masked Marauder
Emeritus Contributor
Emeritus Contributor

Can you say "Conflict of interest?"

Post by The Masked Marauder »

I was skimming the news today when this article caught my eye: I spotted this on page 2:
Adblock and Adblock Plus

Obviously, we have some bias when it comes to ad-blocking extensions, as Computerworld is an ad-supported site. We also understand that these are very popular extensions. But if everyone blocked ads, how would sites such as ours continue to offer content free of charge?

We'll be the first to admit that there are some horribly annoying ads out there. (Buzzing bee, anyone?) But we prefer using Nuke Anything Enhanced to zap the annoying ads while continuing to support the sites we love by allowing most ads to appear.
Needless to say, Computerworld caught a lot of flack for including these extensions on the list (they put NoScript on the list, too). Web advertisers brought this "problem" down on themselves. First, the ads got bigger and more numerous, taking priority over the actual web page content. Then the ads got highly annoying: pop-up, flashing, animated, seizure-inducing color changes, making noises, etc. You can push people only so far before they push back. :evil:
IceDogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by IceDogg »

I liked the reasons that put for this being a "bad" extension. Not supporting site.. give me a f'en break! That's the best they could do? I'll help them out the best I can.. by NEVER visiting their site again. Glad I could help.
rick752
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rick752 »

I've got to admit that it must be difficult for a writer to endorse a product that takes revenue away from his employer. The author obviously likes the extension ... but doesn't want to write it in a way that cuts his own throat.

So you then have a "But Monkey" . A "But Monkey" is a terminology that Laura Ingram (a hot-looking syndicated right-wing radio and TV politcal analyst) uses all the time. It plays both sides of the fence ... usually targeted against a politician's statement.

It goes like this:
"This is a great program ..... *BUT* ..... you shouldn't use it because it causes us to lose revenue"

(I'll bet Computerworld's management suggested that he should put a "but" in there)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"